The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
MikeMcCl

I'm new here

I just bought my first vehicle and it is a 1972 Chevy C10 Deluxe long bed with a 350/4 bbl carb and a 4-speed manual. I never realized how big of a community there was for C10's until I actually bought one. I've seen a lot of phrases be thrown around such as "static drop" and "3"/5" drop." I sort of understand these terms, but I'm still learning.
With me being in high school still and making a little bit more than minimum wage, I'm curious to know what modifications I should do first and how I should lower it.
Please help!
Attached Images

MikeMcCl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #2
Spartan

Re: I'm new here

Brake system first. Then, once it stops reliably what ever you do to make it reliable and yours... Sky is the limit (actually pocketbook is the limit)

Get familiar with the search feature. There are guys and gals who have probably done what you have in mind and posted already.

Other than that have fun and welcome!

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Welcome to the board. It's a great community and we love our trucks.

Static drop is fixed. I've never dropped. but the others you can adjust. They're probably more expensive, and like anything else with more components, likely more prone to problems.

3/5 drop would be 3" in the front and 5" in the back lower than original. Course as old as that truck looks, it's probably closer to 2/4 lower than your rake (aka stance) today. Stock rake was approx. 2" higher in the rear. Somewhere between 2-3" anyway.

The next question you'll need to know is do you have rear leafs or springs, because you have more options with coils. Mine are leafs, but that's okay, I like the idea of a 2.5/4 drop, being 4" drop leaf springs in the rear, 2.5" drop spindles and "original" coils in front. Can't say for 4wd.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-17-2016 at 12:48 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 AM   #4
cruisinthe34

Welcome Mike. This is a great source for knowledge of your new vehicle. Enjoy your truck and learn to work safely on it.
1934 Chevrolet Master Sedan 350 700R4 "Iris"
1941 Ford 1/2 Ton 5.0 H.O Roller C-4 "Rose"
2019 Honda Ridgeline
cruisinthe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
jfnar

First I would get the seat re-covered. Then I would look for a good bumper and the missing trim pieces. After that I would just do whatever it needs to keep it running and save your money. You'll need it because chicks dig old chevy trucks.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcCl View Post
I just bought my first vehicle and it is a 1972 Chevy C10 Deluxe long bed with a 350/4 bbl carb and a 4-speed manual. I never realized how big of a community there was for C10's until I actually bought one. I've seen a lot of phrases be thrown around such as "static drop" and "3"/5" drop." I sort of understand these terms, but I'm still learning.
With me being in high school still and making a little bit more than minimum wage, I'm curious to know what modifications I should do first and how I should lower it.
Please help!
For your (I'm curious) two part question, First answer for the (modifications) question is You need more per Hour for that & for the last part of the (? on lowering it) still the same answer More per Hour, LOL. As you dig in to your new project you will find out how expensive it is. Or you can just go out and buy a new Truck @ around anywhere from $25,000 to upwards of $40,000 plus. What ever way you choose if that is the 72 way & that would be the way I would go it will be an Experience you'll never forget. Have fun with your truck, and this board is here to get you going with the correct answers you needed.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Welcome to the board. Looks like you have a good start and hopefully a good runner to get you from point A to B.

1st. Get your E-brake working and sort out the wiring rats nest!!!! With that 4speed, I'd save for some new tires too, because your going to be riding around on bologna skins soon.

I echo Spartan. Go through the brakes first. Shoes, drums and wheel cyl in the rear; pads, rotors and calipers on the front. Include new brake and fuel lines. Might as well go with a new H2O and fuel pump too while you're in there twisting wrenches (just don't run rubber fuel line around the engine ever).

Are all hoses good?

Are all leaks sealed?

Carb tuned right?

Does it have HEI ignition or still running points? Either way, new plugs, wires, dist. cap and internals are always good.

That should take you some time to get used to the truck and decide what you really want to do.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
leftybass209

Welcome! If I were you, I'd focus on safety and reliability first. When im working on a daily driven classic, I have a list that I follow when putting money into it. Brakes and tires, lighting, steering, drivetrain, interior, exterior. If it makes the vehicle "look" cool before driving safe and reliable, it's a no-go for me. I'll adjust fire if something is worse off in that list.

Try to save money and do stuff in an order that makes sense, with extra money for unforseen issues. Here's an example: If you try to lower it first, you may as well do ball joints, A arm bushings, and brakes and wheel bearings since they're coming off as well. You could do just springs, but then it all comes back apart when you do something else.

Best of luck with your project!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #9
truckster

Here's my order for working on a vehicle:

1 - Safety - brakes, steering, tires, etc.
2 - Reliability - carburetion, tuning, charging, etc.
3 - Appearance and comfort
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Here's my order for working on a vehicle:

1 - Safety - brakes, steering, tires, etc.
2 - Reliability - carburetion, tuning, charging, etc.
3 - Appearance and comfort
2 X's the 1-3 list.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote