The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
noslowboww

Edelbrock 1405 Carb Flooding

My 68 has been a restoration of mine for a while. Over past year I have not had a whole lot of time with it, but I've recently started to get back into it. Before it sat for a while I had done a whole bunch of engine work on it. It's got a new 350 with msd ignition msd dist, edelbrock 1405 carb with manual choke and edelbrock intake. Everything was working great before it sat for a while. When I went to start it up a couple weeks ago I was having a lot of trouble getting it to start. I decided to rebuild my carb even though its only a couple years old and barely had any miles put on it. I just figured that with it just sitting there it probably had build up inside my jets and what not so I might as well clean everything out. After I did this I was able to get it started right up and it ran great for a solid 20 minutes. Today, however, when I went to start it again it was doing the same thing. Just turning over and over. It eventually started but while it was running it sounded like it was choking or missing, When I would give it gas it was like stuttering and not a constant rev. It eventually cut off and I tried to turn it back on but to no avail. I looked down in the carb and it had completely flooded and was going down into my intake. My question is, what in the world happened between then and now?? It ran great the last time I started it up and has been sitting in the garage since. Why is it doing this now? Do I need to take it back apart and see if something was bent or is sticking after I rebuilt it last time???
noslowboww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Edelbrock 1405 Carb Flooding

The float is sticking down. My 1405 does it too when it sits and the gas evaporates. Just hit the bowl, hard, with the plastic end of a screwdriver when you start it after sitting. The tapping will free up the float immediately.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
noslowboww

Re: Edelbrock 1405 Carb Flooding

Thanks, I will give that a shot tomorrow. Hopefully that will do the trick!
noslowboww is offline   Reply With Quote