The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
blackgold

tire size - need help

Hey everyone! I've searched everywhere to figure out this question I have and cannot get and answer so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 1968 swb c10. It's been lowered 4.5" in the front with 2 in. Drop springs and 2.5 drop spindles. The rear has been lowered 6" with drop springs. So 4.5- 6 drop. I bought a pair of 15x8s with a 4in. Backspacing for the front and 15x10s with a 5"rear spacing for the back and I'm wanting to know what size tires I need to go with to fill up the wheel wells or close to. Maybe someone has this same setup and can help me out. Thanks in advance
blackgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
blackgold

Re: tire size - need help

Nobody?
blackgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
Overdriven

Instead of waiting for someone to post you can find it for yourself. One way is to look through the static drop thread for someone withthe same or similar drop.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471442

Personally I'd figure it out myself. Jack up the truck and mount the wheels. Now you want the truck resting on the suspension so put the jack stands under the suspension or put some wood under wheels (don't want nice new wheels on the pavement) and lower the truck down. Once the truck is resting on the suspension bounce on the front and back a few times to get it to settle. Now simply measure from the axle centerline to the top of the wheel opening. Now you just need to determine how much space you want between the tire and the wheel opening. Subtract that amount and you have the radius of your tire, multiply by 2 and you have your tire diameter.

Now I'm not a tire size expert and I don't feel like looking up appropriate widths for the size wheels you have. You can do that on various online tire sites (tire rack, etc) or go to your local tire shop and tell them your wheel size and desired tire diameter and they'll figure it out for you. Maybe they'll even work with you and let you (pay for and) take some tires home, see how they look up against your truck and swap them until you find what looks good and fits right. If they and you are really nice, maybe they'll even mount a front and a rear and let you exchange them if they're not right for little or no extra charge. Maybe they'll have a set of wheels and tires you can throw on to get your truck down to them so they can measure and test fit for clearance.

Edit: To help make sure you get tires that will fit, measure from the wheel to the frame, upper and lower control arm with the wheel straight and turned, to the wheel opening with the wheel turned, etc. Anything that the tire could possibly hit while straight, with the wheel turned and suspension compressed, all situations. Armed with these measurements you can figure out what will fit and what won't making it easier to get the right size tire the first time.

Last edited by Overdriven; 08-21-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
68bowtie

first off check your axle width and other dims to verify since every truck is a little different. i have rear 15x10's with 5.25" bs and 295/50's and i have about 1/2" clear to the inner wheel wells. i've got a 5-lug 12-bolt tho so i'm not sure if the width is the same. the outer will be close too but should clear. i think a better option would be 275/60's since they're a little taller and fill that gap above the tire better. for the front i went with 15x8 with 245/60's, that should be nice and tight as long as everything clears (i don't recall my backspace).

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  34.7 KB

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote