The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
MattPSU

GSI Machine & Fabrication

Does anyone know anything about GSI Machine & Fabrication? http://www.gsimfab.com/

I see that they're making a dropmember similar to Porterbuilt & others. I'm very happy with my Porterbuilt set up, but a buddy just asked me about GSI and I had never heard of them. Just curious if anyone is running one of their set-ups and how they compare to others.

Thanks - Matt

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
MattPSU

Re: GSI Machine & Fabrication

Anyone?

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
MattPSU

Hello?

(crickets)

Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Stickman

C-10 talk just did a video of a drop member build @ the GSI shop. It's on YouTube, just search C-10 talk.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
Does anyone know anything about GSI Machine & Fabrication? http://www.gsimfab.com/

I see that they're making a dropmember similar to Porterbuilt & others. I'm very happy with my Porterbuilt set up, but a buddy just asked me about GSI and I had never heard of them. Just curious if anyone is running one of their set-ups and how they compare to others.

Thanks - Matt
I don't know anything about them but I can tell you that flat plates, no matter how thick do not make good A-arms. They have no strength perpendicular to the plane of the pivot and that is EXACTLY where the bending loads are applied when the suspension is in bump. I would stay with Porterbuilt or Hotchkiss and avoid those guys like the plague.
Taibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
Stickman

I also agree with the strength part.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
C-10 talk just did a video of a drop member build @ the GSI shop. It's on YouTube, just search C-10 talk.
That was the first I had learned about them after my buddy pointed out that they didn't use Porterbuilt dropmembers on that build. My buddy asked me what I knew about them and I wanted to compare them to PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taibo View Post
I don't know anything about them but I can tell you that flat plates, no matter how thick do not make good A-arms. They have no strength perpendicular to the plane of the pivot and that is EXACTLY where the bending loads are applied when the suspension is in bump. I would stay with Porterbuilt or Hotchkiss and avoid those guys like the plague.
These aren't the first flat plate style arms that I've seen being sold. I wondered about their strength before but I figured that the pivot point would generally handle the upward forces. For that force to be transferred to the arms themselves, I would think the bags would need to be inflated to an unreasonably high pressure to create an opposing downward force on the middle of the arms. Maybe I'm wrong or I'm missing something, but that's how I always looked at flat plate arms until you mentioned it Taibo.

I've been branded a Porterbuilt guy, so if I ever have the chance to build another truck, that's the route I'll take. But I'm trying to do some research for my buddy who's always looking for the latest and greatest.

I appreciate the input guys. Hopefully someone with one of their set-ups will chime in and share their experience.

-Matt

Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
TwinsSpeedShop

Thanks for the help Matt. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of this build. I feel the arms will be fine. If not, we will redesign them
TwinsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
cdog73

you guys do realize they also offer round tube arms with these kits. I talked with Travis at AZ Pro Performance and he said that these are actually a really nice product. You also now have the option of going with Choppin Block for a new dropmember provider. Choppin Block front and rear setup is right a 5 grand but by the time you add all the options like a rack and sway bars and a few more things your at about the same price as Porterbuilt. They all look to be really nice products but in the eend I will probably end up going Porterbuilt unless Travis is willing to give me a killer deal on the Choppin Block stuff.
cdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:28 AM   #10
GSIMFAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog73 View Post
you guys do realize they also offer round tube arms with these kits. I talked with Travis at AZ Pro Performance and he said that these are actually a really nice product. You also now have the option of going with Choppin Block for a new dropmember provider. Choppin Block front and rear setup is right a 5 grand but by the time you add all the options like a rack and sway bars and a few more things your at about the same price as Porterbuilt. They all look to be really nice products but in the eend I will probably end up going Porterbuilt unless Travis is willing to give me a killer deal on the Choppin Block stuff.
When you are ready give us a call and we can make you a good deal on a suspension kit.
GSIMFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:35 AM   #11
GSIMFAB

If anyone has any questions please ask. We have lots of info on our website also. www.gsimfab.com

Old 08-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
GSIMFAB

Here is a short video we made showing our front suspension kit.