The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
85square

Twisted frame?

I picked up a complete k20 chassis this past spring and am just now getting the time to start my build. After i got it home i noticed a crack that was welded near the rear shock mount. I got a good deal on it so i wasn't too upset about this but i still wanted to use the frame because clean frames are hard to come by in NY. Now that I'm getting ready to tear into the axles, i realized that the frame does not sit right. Im thinking this has to be because of the weld that one of the previous owners made on the passenger side frame rail. The pictures attached aren't the best but you can see how the passenger side frame rail sits lower than the drivers side, and the cross members are slanted at the rear. Is there any way i could fix this and make it usable or is it a lost cause? Thanks for the help guys.

- Also, if more pictures would help i'd be glad to take them.
Attached Images

85square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
85square

Re: Twisted frame?

Here's a picture of the weld
Attached Images

85square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Looks like it goes thisaway and thataway..I'd remove axles and springs and take it to a frame shop since you have it stripped down this far..or find another frame..its got some rail twist in it to..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
cadillac_al

It looks like it could have been T-boned. I wouldn't use it because frames aren't rare in my area. The bodies are shot but the frames seem to survive quite well. I hope you can find another frame reasonably priced.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

Put it on flat level ground, with a matched set of properly inflated tires. In your first pic, 3 look the same, the one closest to the tree looks different. Hard to judge a frame on uneven ground with mis-matched tires. If you don't have four matching tires, a set of jack stands will work.

Once on level ground, take some pics and on a larger screen device, show them to a frame shop for a quick opinion. They may see enough in the pics to give you a don't bother with it or they may say bring it in for a closer look.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
andrewmp6

To get a good idea http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/framespecs.html
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Anyone who says they can tell a damn thing by those photos is pulling your leg. The best advice was given, get it on a level concrete surface on make certain all 4 wheels/tires are the same exact and go from there.

The first thing we do when doing a major frame/unibody repair is take all 4 wheels off and bolt on either the wheel stands or unibody clamps. That makes it set level on the frame machine and you can then measure correctly and get a plan to reverse the damage(s).
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
daddyjeep

It is my experience that a little frame twist in these old trucks is pretty common. Mine was pretty twisted in the rear when I got it. When I had the bed off I jacked up the low side and let it sit a couple days and it is much closer to sitting right now. I need to do it one more time and maybe add a little weigh to the other side. A buddy of mine had the same problem and straightened it in a similar fashion.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote