The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Toolman_69

I've got a new project and it runs now

New to this forum, and the 67-72 vintage chevy trucks. I've always LOVED these trucks. I picked up a 69 c10 longbed pickup a couple of weeks ago for a song. The truck is mostly rust free, with the exception of the cab floor, and maybe some supports, a couple of spots on the firewall, and 2 half fist sized issues with the bed floor near the tailgate. It's got an LS4 with a muncie M21 from a 1973 or 1974 chevelle(Date code on the block is 73).

Tonight I started my newly acquired project car. I wired up my ignition, and finished the rebuild in the carburetor. I started it and to my surprise I thought the engine had a little cackle/Lumpy Idle. I just started it with a little gasoline down the carburetor. My last project car(71 Pontiac Lemans with a 455) of this vintage didn't cackle like this. I'm almost sure my car has an upgraded cam. I hope it does as that'll put the big block truck of mine in the vicinity of about 500 HP (gm oval port 049 heads). Not bad for what I picked it up for. I looked up the transmission in the car the drivetrain came from and it is an M21 with only 2.2:1 first gears. The good side is it is a close ratio 4 speed with Ratios 2.2, 1.67, 128, and 1. I haven't checked the numbers but everything else in this truck looks like that's what I have.

I plan on running a 4.10 gear in the 12 bolt rear axle. The only downside is the rear axle was trashed. The spider gears, pins, c clips and such fell out when I took the cover off. The axles are okay and so is the driveshaft. I have it pulled out and took everything apart. I'm putting an eaton tru trac carrier in it in another month or so as the old one was rusted. The suspension needs work as it appears that the springs were heated up and about 3 coils are sitting on top of one another.

Anyway sorry for the book, but I'm ecstatic about driving and playing with this truck.
Attached Images

Toolman_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
yuccales

Re: I've got a new project and it runs now

Looks like a good project. Fun working on these old trucks. Welcome to the forum.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
geezer#99

Re: I've got a new project and it runs now

Welcome!!
So where's the motor pics??
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote