The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
tomfg

64 Instrument cluster removal?

Have to remove my instrument cluster on my 64 1/2 ton. It's the style with the angled knobs, ie., lights, choke, etc. Do I need to remove the switches before the cluster will come out, or can I just unplug the wires from the switches and pull the cluster and switches all out at the same time? If I need to pull the switches first, how? Don't see where the knobs come off the shafts. Are these the type of switches that you have to release the knob shaft via a little hole and piece of wire? ... been a long time.
And, does anyone sell speedometers for my truck? My odometer isn't working. Thanks.
tomfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
65StreetCruiser
It Is What It Is

tomfg, On my 65 I had to pull all the switches, the headlight rod comes out by pressing a button on top of the switch itself. Kind of tricky but by working the rod it will come out. Then you have to remove the bezel. A tool is available but I used a pair of small needlenose pliers. The wiper knob is held on by a small allen screw on the side of the knob, again you have to remove the bezel nut. The choke is the same way, remove the bezl nut. The ignition switch has to be done with the wire in the little hole with the key. The lighter has to be unscrewed from the backside. I also had to drop my column. Hope all this helps and doesn't confuse you. Good luck!
68 Camaro convertible
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
65StreetCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
tomfg

Instrument Cluster removal

Thanks for the tips. Got the cluster out. The lightswith knob and shaft came out as you mentioned.... just push the button on top of the switch. The wiper knob simply pulled off. The choke knob screwed off. The lighter unscrewed from the back. The ignition switch came out by unscrewing the front bezel. Poking the wire in the hole you refer to in the ignition switch must be to remove the tumbler from the switch? Didn't have to drop the steering column, but it was a tight fit coming out! Thanks, Tom
tomfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
65StreetCruiser
It Is What It Is

Glad everything worked out. And that you didn't have to pull the tumbler out.
68 Camaro convertible
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
65StreetCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote