The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
2B32

What Am I Doing Wrong?!

When I bought my truck it did not have reverse light bulbs in it. I bought 1156 bulbs to install, but they wont fit. They will slide down, but they will not twist to lock in place. If I remove the spring and connector at the bottom the bulb will slide in and twist into place, but it will not twist into place with the spring and connector in place.

I took the entire bracket to the parts store to make sure I had the right bulbs, which I do. And, I tried a new spring and connector, which didn't work either.

What am I doing wrong? Why wont these new bulbs seat into the backup light bracket?
2B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: What Am I Doing Wrong?!

The pins are off-set, do you have it in the right way? Those sockets can be mildly difficult over time too, try lubing them up a little.
I have struggled with those 45 year old sockets before. Usually I get frustrated, go work on something else, and come back over and then that darn bulb goes right in like it's supposed to. It's a mixed feeling, so happy I got it done, but I wonder what the heck I was doing the first time that didn't work.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
The pins are off-set, do you have it in the right way? Those sockets can be mildly difficult over time too, try lubing them up a little.
I have struggled with those 45 year old sockets before. Usually I get frustrated, go work on something else, and come back over and then that darn bulb goes right in like it's supposed to. It's a mixed feeling, so happy I got it done, but I wonder what the heck I was doing the first time that didn't work.

Shawn, the pins on 1157 bulbs are off-set. The ones on his 1156 bulbs are straight across.

If the bulbs are not name brand bulbs they may be made wrong. You could try filing down the lead bead on the end of the bulb. Just don't get too carried away....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #4
toolboxchev

I had to clean mine up with a battery wire brush, pull the old contact and spring assembly and replace it with new.

Works great now, 46 years of corrosion in there will not help things.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

It's possible the sockets might be too far gone to salvage, and will need to be replaced. After going years with no front parking lamps due to bad sockets, I finally bit the bullet and replaced the lamps. But not until I tried everything I could think of to get the original lamps working.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
2B32

Well, I tried everything I could think of, cleaning the socket, grinding the lead, removing the spring, and nothing worked so I ordered replacements. I still for the life of me can't figure out why it wont work....
2B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Benny-

I sprayed pb blaster in mine to loosen them up and they eventually started working right.

1978 GMC K15 High Sierra.
Benny- is offline   Reply With Quote