The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
TexasLS1

New Fuel Tank, but Cap too small??

Just installed a Spectra Fuel Tank #GM49B in my 72 C10 with EEC. The fit is great, and the part number is correct for the truck(unless in really missing something). *HOWEVER* the neck is about 1/4" larger diameter, so my fuel cap from the original tank is too small and drops loosely into the neck. Replacement caps at the parts stores are the same diameter as the original.

***Does anyone know of a cap that the cam/neck is 1-1/2" instead of the standard 1-5/16" cap?

***Is the cap for a 67-70 larger than the 71-72?

***Will there be negative effects by using a vented cap if I find one, since my cap is supposed to be non-vented for the EEC system??

Hoping I don't have to take the tank back out; I shoulda checked it before starting the job but I know lots of guys use the Spectra...
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Tim Christian

Re: New Fuel Tank, but Cap too small??

Yes you will need the 67-70 style cap and fuel neck grommet
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
TexasLS1

Great thanks Tim!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
72 Super

I am going through this the exact same thing now with the same situation . Do they offer a 70 non vented cap?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 10-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
TexasLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
I am going through this the exact same thing now with the same situation . Do they offer a 70 non vented cap?

Thanks,
Ray
Sorry I never got back to you on this - did you get yours figured out yet?

I ended up using a '71 fuel cap because it was the larger, correct diameter for my Spectra tank that was ordered as a 1972 EEC tank. I used this vented cap from O'Reilly Auto Parts (I wasn't able to find a non-vented one to fit) - http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/si...3355&ppt=C0333
Old 10-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
72 Super

I ordered the Stant 10704 based on the information I received from GMCPAULS

Thanks,
Ray

Re: Correct 72 EEC reproduction gas tank w 1 1/2 inch neck
Here's the information needed to find & purchase one for the 1972 EEC tank. This cap still vents in other than ordinary circumstances but it is a safety requirement mandated by the Federal government. Due to the following

OE Vacuum relief prevents fuel vapors from exiting the fuel system via the fill tube under normal operations. This allows an alternative path for air to flow into the tank if there is an obstruction in the vapor recovery or vapor management systems. Permits pressure to escape if the vapor management system malfunctions.

Fuel cap for Reproduction 70-72 EEC tank with large fuel filler neck
Stant Fuel Tank Cap 10704
Part Number: 10704
Features: OE Equivalent Fuel Cap
A "Torque Override" feature aids in the proper installation of the fuel cap. It produces an audible click as the o-ring that seals the cap is properly compressed.
OE Vacuum relief prevents fuel vapors from exiting the fuel system via the fill tube under normal operations. This allows an alternative path for air to flow into the tank if there is an obstruction in the vapor recovery or vapor management systems.
OE Equivalent Fuel Cap
Offe
GAS CAP
A "Breakaway Groove" allows the cap to remain sealed and prevent fuel leakage during a crash or impact, even if some of the cap has broken away.
OE Pressure relief prevents fuel vapors from exiting the fuel system under normal operating conditions. This allows an escape path for pressure in the event of an impact situation where the fuel tank has collapsed.
Permits pressure to escape if the vapor management system malfunctions.
A "Lost Motion" feature permits the cap handle some freedom to turn while maintaining a seal, which could aid in the prevention of fuel tank leakage during a crash or impact.

We do not sell the cap so you'll need to order 1 online or pickup at a local auto parts store. Nor do we sell these incorrectly made 1972 EEC tanks. Currently no one reproduces a correct 72 EEC tank with the correct 1 1/2" fuel filler neck, when or if they make it correctly we'll then carry the tank.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls