The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
LongBox

Parts Quality Rant

Yesterday, I went out and bought a lighter, a wiper switch knob, and a new headlight switch knob and shaft, and I installed them.

Now, these parts are described as "reproductions". So, if some company decides to "reproduce" a part, why don't they make it an EXACT reproduction? The headlight knob is a slightly different shape than the original, and it stands out a little bit farther from the dash panel. Not terrible, but why didn't they make it right?? The wiper knob looks better, but it's not exactly right either, as it doesn't seem to go on to the shaft quite as far as the original. Again, that makes it stand out a bit.

This is not rocket science. These knobs and other small parts could be made exactly right by using a scanner and 3D printer, with great results.

Hope I'm not the only guy who feels this way on this subject, and thanks for reading this.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
ratty69

Re: Parts Quality Rant

You're not alone.

Just went through this with some heater cables. They were too long and would require modding the heater box to fit. If your parts aren't EXACT duplicates/require mods to fit, be upfront about it and let the customer decide. Sometimes people will accept the work required, sometimes not. Depends on the person/situation.

I know I will be wary of that manufacturer in the future...
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wouldn't surprise me if all cosmetics differ. Costs money to do a match with equal or better quality. We're at the mercy of a global market and lots of junk.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

It's only reproduction when it's the same. Everything else is "replacement"...or in other words, close enough to work.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's only reproduction when it's the same. Everything else is "replacement"...or in other words, close enough to work.
Right, but if some company is going to go to the trouble to make the part, why not make it right?

one problem is that it is often impossible to know what company made the part, as multiple sellers sell the same part, and package it with their own part number.

On the positive side, the parts I got are not terrible, just not exact, and I suppose I should be glad I could get any at all, as our trucks are not very common in the boneyards anymore.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #6
jeffahart

Some real crap out there. When I watch some of these car shows where they get big boxes filled with these crap parts I just think wow, they must be getting ready for fertilize their lawn! But sometime it's dog crap or nothing.

But to the point, yes it is rocket science... toy rockets.... from China... you know, the ones that don't work!!!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #7
toolboxchev

I too have seen the same thing, with most coming from Large Retailers. I currently have a beef with the biggest name in the business.

Check everything before install, I now buy parts from multiple sources and return the unused JUNK!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I ask the same thing. Is it lack of ability or just don't care? I can't think of any other reason to make something almost the same, unless the almost makes it better than back then. My point is they are downright deceiving us when a part is sold as reproduction when it is actually replacement. You go to a GM parts counter and they may habd you a completely different part that from a later year that "will work". I understand this because they made the vehicle, the original part is depleted, and the newer part will keep you rolling. That is their concern. They are not a restoration service, they are simply helping owners of their vehicles stay on the road, just like all the non-factory parts houses. These are all replacement parts, even OEM.

I remember getting all excited when my GM parts guy told me steering wheels were available for 69-72s, but only in black. Made sense since vans continued using these post-72, but only in black. Well, the part comes in and it's a later steering wheel. My dreams were crushed, but it was a steering wheel that fit right on and would steering my truck just as well as the original style.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Now you know why people pay good money for used original parts and our parts board is very active even for small items.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

And if the issue is "it's made in China"... well that argument doesn't really hold water either, because if they can copy an entire damn truck... they can copy a little bitty headlight switch!

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Now you know why people pay good money for used original parts and our parts board is very active even for small items.
Yup. I know I can run out and buy brand new 1967 bedsides, but I've seen them up close, fondled them, etc... and side by side, they look similar, but they just don't have the same look. Will they do the job and fool 98% of people walking by? Yeah, but I'm that 2% wasting hours of my time saving an original shortbed set with OEM longbed parts... The wheel wells were the worst, the rest was solid, just a couple small holes in the usual corners.

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Exactly ^^^

Was just gonna say... wait till you start buying body parts and patch panels.

However I will say that the aftermarket outer cab floor extensions I installed in the cab of my truck were the bees knees. They include the inner rocker and go inboard along the floor about 4", and extend from the front pinch weld in the toe boards to the rear of the cab. Excellent aftermarket product! No more piecing together 4 different panels to do one job anymore.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
leddzepp

The consumer has spoken and price is king.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
truckster

The last genuine GM part I bought (AC hose for my 95 Z28) was made in China. You can't even get OEM parts that are OEM anymore.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #15
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
And if the issue is "it's made in China"... well that argument doesn't really hold water either, because if they can copy an entire damn truck... they can copy a little bitty headlight switch!
Well, that is true, anyone can make good parts or bad parts. I use the word "China" kind of euphemistically for a whole process these days. And it's the process of getting quick and cheap items where quality control is not really built into the process. It's an after thought to be addressed after x number of complaints or returns.

Anyone of us could start using the China manufacturing process to start manufacturing and selling small parts for our trucks with just a few bucks outlaid. The only hard part of the process is not caring what your customers are actually receiving. The person who can do that becomes the low price leader.

Ledzepp is right, the customer has spoken! And the "China" process will continue to reign king.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Well, that is true, anyone can make good parts or bad parts. I use the word "China" kind of euphemistically for a whole process these days. And it's the process of getting quick and cheap items where quality control is not really built into the process. It's an after thought to be addressed after x number of complaints or returns.

Anyone of us could start using the China manufacturing process to start manufacturing and selling small parts for our trucks with just a few bucks outlaid. The only hard part of the process is not caring what your customers are actually receiving. The person who can do that becomes the low price leader.

Ledzepp is right, the customer has spoken! And the "China" process will continue to reign king.
What the funny part about that is when you have to return them, most online retailers wont even pay for the shipping back. I am not paying for shipping twice, and the online guys agree, JUST KEEP IT, OR THROW IT OUT.

We are paying for that in the price of the part. YIKES!

I will support American Made most all of the time. It supports an American working even if the part is seldom wrongy!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
chewychevy67

In my 67 build I will go out of my way to find original rebuildable parts, pay the price and not complain about it. the only parts I bought after market were a full floor replacement and new 67 short besides from wes and I thought that they were very nice. I was very surprised as everything i have tried in the past was not up to my standards. I do prefer original parts if at all possable.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Not every reproduction part is bad, but OEM used is always right

Tim