The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: matched key sets

Yes, these trucks used one key for ignition and door. I figure the matched key thing comes from when the door and ignition are from different trucks and what is really meant to be said is "matching locks". All keys match their lock. You can't make one key match two locks but you can make two locks match one key. Then there's the locking glovebox button to go for a one key for three locks deal

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #27
RestoreAmerica

My ignition key operates great but will only go about half way into both door locks.
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #28
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoreAmerica View Post
My ignition key operates great but will only go about half way into both door locks.
It may be the wrong key for the door locks. Someone may have installed a new ignition lock but didn't change the door locks....

You might try spraying some penetrating oil into the door locks. Stick the nozzle into each lock and give it a good spray. Let them sit for a while then try the key, wiggling it up and down while inserting it.(don't force it) The tumblers might be stuck from non-use. If the key still won't go in you will need to get a matched lock set to have them all the same.

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #29
RestoreAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
It may be the wrong key for the door locks. Someone may have installed a new ignition lock but didn't change the door locks....

You might try spraying some penetrating oil into the door locks. Stick the nozzle into each lock and give it a good spray. Let them sit for a while then try the key, wiggling it up and down while inserting it.(don't force it) The tumblers might be stuck from non-use. If the key still won't go in you will need to get a matched lock set to have them all the same.
Thank you.
I will try that. I just took that matched set from my other 1969 that still needs restored. I will try the penetrating oil. If that doesn't work I will need to get a new set later.
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoreAmerica View Post
Thank you.
I will try that. I just took that matched set from my other 1969 that still needs restored. I will try the penetrating oil. If that doesn't work I will need to get a new set later.

No problem.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #31
BAWAlex

Re: Door Lock Issue

OK. I have looked for a place to post this issue and this is the most current that I can find in the 67-72 area. I have a 1971 C10. I don't have any history on the truck so not sure what, if anything, has been changed. My dilemma is that I can UNLOCK the driver's door with the key, but I can't LOCK it with the key; I can LOCK the passenger door with the key, but I can't UNLOCK it with the key. So, when I get out of my truck, I have to climb in from the passenger side and push down the lock on the driver's side. Then I can lock the passenger side from the outside with the key. When I get back in my truck, I can unlock from the driver's side and then I have to crawl over to the passenger side and unlock from the inside. (The passenger side lock is also extremely hard to pull up, which probably just needs some lubrication.) I'm tired of crawling, so any help would be appreciated. I have read and read and read, here there and everywhere, and taken all of LockDoc's advice that I could find, but have not come across this issue anywhere. The key works fine in the ignition. Thanks for your time.
BAWAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #32
tlman

cant you push the lock down on driver side and shut the door "locked"?
tlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #33
BAWAlex

Nope.
BAWAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #34
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWAlex View Post
OK. I have looked for a place to post this issue and this is the most current that I can find in the 67-72 area. I have a 1971 C10. I don't have any history on the truck so not sure what, if anything, has been changed. My dilemma is that I can UNLOCK the driver's door with the key, but I can't LOCK it with the key; I can LOCK the passenger door with the key, but I can't UNLOCK it with the key. So, when I get out of my truck, I have to climb in from the passenger side and push down the lock on the driver's side. Then I can lock the passenger side from the outside with the key. When I get back in my truck, I can unlock from the driver's side and then I have to crawl over to the passenger side and unlock from the inside. (The passenger side lock is also extremely hard to pull up, which probably just needs some lubrication.) I'm tired of crawling, so any help would be appreciated. I have read and read and read, here there and everywhere, and taken all of LockDoc's advice that I could find, but have not come across this issue anywhere. The key works fine in the ignition. Thanks for your time.
The first thing I would do is to lube the locks and latches. Roll the window down and with a good strong light you can see the door latch and locking mechanism through the opening at the back of the door glass. Spray the crap out of the latch and lock parts with penetrating oil (not WD-40). Then open and close the door and lock and unlock it few times and see if that helps....If that doesn't work there is a right and a left to the pawls (levers/actuators/arms) on the back of the locks, you might try switching the lock cylinders from side to side to see if that helps..... While you have them out insert the keys and see if the lock will turn both right and left from the center position, out of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlman View Post
cant you push the lock down on driver side and shut the door "locked"?
That doesn't work on the '67-'72 trucks....

LockDoc

-