The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
vht

Got a Start

Today I got a start on my 84 K10. Pulled rear drums to redo brakes and pulled the front axle assy apart for new calipers, axle joints, ball joints, and wheel bearings. Cleaning up parts so it can go back together. Next I'm going to check out the 305 and decide whether to replace it. I have new headers, HEI dist, 600 Holley and a performer intake. Along with plugs, wires, hoses, and water pump. Somewhere along the way, I got to recover the seat, carpet, and redye the door panels and repair the dash paint and dye. I need a arm rest for the drivers side, and I got a kit coming to redo the head liner. Never done 1 before so this ought to be interesting. What do you do on the seat foam? I got a cover from LMC, any pointers on this would be appreciated.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
LT7A

Re: Got a Start

That's cool!

How about copying your post and starting a build thread in the Projects and Builds section? Post some pics of what you're starting with and then the progressive steps. It'd be cool (er) if you did.

Glad that you got started on it. Hope you enjoy it. LT7A

Last edited by LT7A; 11-30-2016 at 06:01 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
vht

Going to try and do a build thread. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
Somewhere along the way, I got to recover the seat, carpet, and redye the door panels and repair the dash paint and dye. I need a arm rest for the drivers side, and I got a kit coming to redo the head liner. Never done 1 before so this ought to be interesting. What do you do on the seat foam? I got a cover from LMC, any pointers on this would be appreciated.
The armrest: Post a Want to Buy (WTB) in the parts section of the board and try Ebay.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5

The headliner: It's pretty easy, just be patient and take your time. I did mine and it turned out great. If your using the original headliner board, just be careful with it, it's going to be brittle on the edges. I would suggest watching a how to video on YouTube. That what I do for almost everything I have tackled myself on the truck. I will attach a pic of mine. And also a before & after, of headliner I did in a Civic. I gotten my fabric from both places: http://www.yourautotrim.com/auheclvifa.html. You can even order a fabric card, to pick out your color. From this place, I like the headliner adhesive, that comes in their kit: https://www.miamicorp.com/default.as...temcode=MS2100

Bench Seat: Hopefully your foam is still in good condition and you won't have to do anything with it. If it's not, a replacement foam can be purchased through LMC & USA Industries, but man they are expensive. About $200 and that's just for the bottom section. And check out all your springs, if you have any that are broke, you can get replacements from USA also. I would go with them, LMC wants about $250 for their foam.
I would just suggest getting a good set of hog ring pliers. The ones they give you with the seat cover, they will will test your patience!!

https://www.usa1industries.com/1981-...ower-only.html

Or you could have me restore and recover a seat for you and you wouldn't have to mess with it at all. Check out the thread to see everything that gets done to the seat or use it as a reference, if you do it yourself.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=715398
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 11-30-2016 at 01:50 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
vht

I wish I could have somebody do it, I just can't afford it. Went in the garge today and the left side gas tank was leaking. Going to need all the brake stuff on the rear, plus axle seals. May as well do axle bearings. Done have new calipers and pads, new wheel bearings, LS was bad, and new ball joints, RS was bad. RS axle joint was bad. It's like a chain reaction.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
vht

I need a LS arm rest and a LS map pocket, or whatever you call it. I'll try and post them in the WTB. Right now I need alot of things.