The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
LDO

Sound Deadener Advice

I bought some fatmat for my 85 a while back and was gonna install it over the next few days. Pulled my carpet out and the original stuff is on there and looks to be in pretty good shape.

Should I remove down to bare floor and install the fat mat and re-use the original stuff?
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
homemade87

Re: Sound Deadener Advice

You can keep the floor mat that looks like a thick tar mat . Where you would benefit from the fatmat is the inside of the outer skin on the door and also the inside door just behind the door panel . Also behind the seat on the inside of the cab also run it up the firewall on the inside as far as you can get it . I think these areas would serve you better . I did mine like this and made a big difference .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
vht

On old cars and various projects I do, I use the Peel and stick, from Lowes. I prime and paint the floor, put a layer of it on the floor and then go over it with another silver colored insulation I get at Lowes also. It comes in rolls in various widths, I get the 24 in wide stuff and spray the peel and stick with 3M spray glue, I think the # of it is 77, and glue it down. I can't think of the name of it, but it's in the insulation dept, and the Peel and Stick is in the flashing dept. I'll get the name of the roll I use. I use the Peel and Stick on the inside of doors, and on the roof to help with noise and heat.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
On old cars and various projects I do, I use the Peel and stick, from Lowes. I prime and paint the floor, put a layer of it on the floor and then go over it with another silver colored insulation I get at Lowes also. It comes in rolls in various widths, I get the 24 in wide stuff and spray the peel and stick with 3M spray glue, I think the # of it is 77, and glue it down. I can't think of the name of it, but it's in the insulation dept, and the Peel and Stick is in the flashing dept. I'll get the name of the roll I use. I use the Peel and Stick on the inside of doors, and on the roof to help with noise and heat.
I dont think LDO is looking for new products . Has already got the fatmat . But I did forget about doing the roof as well when I did mine . The roof and the back of the cab is like a megaphone for noise .
Old 12-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
vht

I just put it out there for anyone that it would help save some money. I'm going to do the back of my cab and then cover it in carpet or something to help with the noise.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
homemade87

Quote:
I just put it out there for anyone that it would help save some money. I'm going to do the back of my cab and then cover it in carpet or something to help with the noise.
I did the same behind the seat & also covered it in carpet . This also helps absorb noise . Looks pretty good also .
Old 12-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
I bought some fatmat for my 85 a while back and was gonna install it over the next few days. Pulled my carpet out and the original stuff is on there and looks to be in pretty good shape.

Should I remove down to bare floor and install the fat mat and re-use the original stuff?
I did this in my truck. Take everything up. That's carpet, the tat mat and what ever else is down under the carpeting. Sweep it out really good and start putting the Fat Mat down and cover everything you can, just make sure you either don't cover the holes that get bolts or cut them back out right away. Otherwise you'll forget where they all are. Put it on the roof too, under the headliner.

Now if you run out, just like VHT mentioned, you can use the stuff at Lowes. I did too, I used it behind the seat. When I ran out of Fat Mat, I didn't want to spend a goob of money just for a small area.

Now you can put your tar mat back in. I also put a layer of foil backed insulation down on top of all that. Used foil tape for the seams. Now it's time for the carpet.

Here's the links for the stuff at Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-I...ashing/1018733

Link for the foil backed insulation: This stuff comes in different sizes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouc...1424/100661257
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
TKCR

Behind the seat:

After putting the tar stuff on, I got another cardboard storage tray that was original in the trucks. I put a heavy duty speaker/amp carpet on top of that. I even got a roll of denim insulation and put up in the corners behind the speakers. Everything has made the cab so much more quieter.

Here's the link for the denim insulation:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouc...6482/202709974
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Nice! need to do that on mine, rattles are driving me crazy
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
PunishedC10

I recommend taking a look at Lizard Skin Ceramic Heat shield and their sound deadener. I am using both inside the cab and under the cab as an undercoating. Sprays on like bedliner material!
PunishedC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
LDO

Do you need to scuff the metal/paint any or just clean with some brake cleaner/royal purple?
Old 12-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Do you need to scuff the metal/paint any or just clean with some brake cleaner/royal purple?
I didn't need to use anything. That stuff sticks like cement, once you put it down. Inside the doors, I wiped them down with alcohol. Brake cleaner would work to, just be careful about getting that on certain items.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
LDO

Quote:
VHT,
by all means, post the name of the insulation when you have time. I'm always looking for cheaper ways of doing stuff to these old trucks. I'm planning on using fatmat and the peel and stick from Lowes to compare any differences before I start work on my 66.
thanks.