The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
LongBox

And Who'd Have Thought...

That in the snowy weather, I'd be using my 69?

Story goes like this: My DD is a 98 Silverado with decent tires, 5.7 Vortec. The 69 is just a toy, and I have a convertible hibernating for the winter.

Took the 98 to go to the gym yesterday, and it decided to act like a spoiled kid on the way--the fuel pump quit, a common problem with these trucks. So, get it towed to a shop (no way I'm doing this job in cold and snowy weather), and figure, what the heck, why not try the 69. It's got the typical skinny old 8 ply truck tires from back in the day, although they do have decent tread depth, but they are not winter tires.

So, for the past two days, I've been driving this old beast on slushy roads, sometimes quite slippery, and it goes quite nicely. Must be the fact that the tires are so skinny, that they bite right down to the pavement. Hate to drive it when there's salt on the road, but it will get a very thorough washing of the undercarriage and inner fenders, etc., once the other truck is back in service.

Can't beat those old BOOBS1 (Before Old Old Body Style)

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
ratty69

Re: And Who'd Have Thought...

You're a brave man to drive that beauty in this crap weather! Not only the salt, but all the CLUELESS drivers who drive like it's a dry day - full speed everywhere. What, me worry? Got airbags, abs, and traction control baby!

I've got 4wd and I'm not driving if I can help it...
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
palallin

I drive mine all the time in snow and ice. I use the 4WD sometimes and have a set of chains if things are really bad but haven't used them in years.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
weq92f

I have lots of very fond memories in my old 68 sliding around town through snow and ice. Back then, circa 1985 through about 1992 or so, the 68 was my DD and nothing kept me off the roads!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Coley

Smile Re: And Who'd Have Thought...

...after you get your '98 back on the road and your GMC off the road....consider hitting it the undercarriage with a couple of cans or 'rustcheck'.
Its a bit of a messy job for an hour or so...but great piece of mind.
I get underneath the truck and spray it up through the 3 formed drain holes in both rocker panels from below. Then I do all the cab supports (from below) and pretty much all cab rails and connections, seams, holes, etc, then down through both cowls from above. Then do the upper frame ledge just below the very back of the box. For all of this you have to be under the truck...bending over isn't going to cut it.
That back ledge on the top of the frame cross support is a real gathering spot for dirt, salt, moisture and will rot the back of the box out (from below) just inside the tailgate if left unchecked.
Actually I do a lot more than those areas..but those are probably the most important in my opinion, certainly in order to preserve the cab.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
...after you get your '98 back on the road and your GMC off the road....consider hitting it the undercarriage with a couple of cans or 'rustcheck'.
Its a bit of a messy job for an hour or so...but great piece of mind.
I get underneath the truck and spray it up through the 3 formed drain holes in both rocker panels from below. Then I do all the cab supports (from below) and pretty much all cab rails and connections, seams, holes, etc, then down through both cowls from above. Then do the upper frame ledge just below the very back of the box. For all of this you have to be under the truck...bending over isn't going to cut it.
That back ledge on the top of the frame cross support is a real gathering spot for dirt, salt, moisture and will rot the back of the box out (from below) just inside the tailgate if left unchecked.
Actually I do a lot more than those areas..but those are probably the most important in my opinion, certainly in order to preserve the cab.
All Good
Coley
Excellent info, is there a thread with pictures or diagrams?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
57larry

if it snows, I stay at home. being retired is nice
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #8
LongBox

Thanks for all the tips, Coley, much appreciated. It seems to me that when these trucks were designed, they were not too worried about rusting in the future. Guess they never figured we'd be using them going on 50 years later.

I have actually pressure washed the undercarriage of this truck last fall. Extremely messy job, but gave me peace of mind that there was no longer any dirt to hold moisture under there.

Washed it out thoroughly today, with careful attention to the inner front fenders, under the cab, and under the box. I've already gone through all the body drain holes, and removed the outer cowl to wash out thoroughly, and picked out any leaves, needles, etc, that had gathered in the bottoms of the front fenders.

Should get the 98 back Tuesday or Wednesday, so that will get the 69 back into dry day only driving mode.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
70STOVEBOLT

I drove mine every day for the first 14 years I owned it. It went pretty good in the snow when it had the 250/3OTT combo with 3.73 non-posi rear. Now it's got a big block with a TH400, the 3.73's and is undergoing a semi-restoration to become a daily driver again...fair-weather only of course

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear