The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
rally

Carb problems

Hey everyone,

I was hoping you guys could help. I've been driving this truck relatively without problems since I bought it earlier this year, but within the last couple of days, it's developed an issue.

I first noticed the truck started idling rough when I was sitting at a light or stop sign. That started a day or two ago. Since then, the truck has been progressively getting worse when sitting while running, but didn't seem to have a problem when driving at speed. On my way home today, I stopped at a local gas station and filled up. I almost couldn't get the truck started when I tried to leave. It turns over, just doesn't seem to want to start. After I got home, as I backed into my garage, it died. Now I can't get it to start again.

When I popped the hood after the truck died, I noticed fuel dripping by the red arrow in the pic. I also noticed white smoke from the hole at the blue arrow in the pic.

Anybody know what's going on and, most importantly, how to fix this problem?
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Carb problems

Is it an Edelbrock? You might have dirt jamming the float/needle seat action. Could need a rebuild.
Hard to say w/o seeing it in person.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'd vote for leaking well plugs, as a heavy float wouldn't give a fuel leak at the secondary throttle plates, but you never know. Has it been getting poor mileage and/or hard starting recently, before this happened? It's a Quadrajet, so Cliff Ruggles would be your man. Or, you can ask Ken at Everyday Performance or Carmantex, both of whom (well, all 3) post at V8Buick.com. Those guys are the QJet experts. I rebuild my own, but am not that expert. When I had a problem with mine, I talk to Cliff. But that was before I talked to the other two guys.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

What make and model of carb is it? I can tell its not a Q-Jet but beyond that I'm just guessing. Just shooting from the hip my first guess would be your float level has gone wrong and it's flooding the carb. Pull a spark plug or two and see if they are wet. The float could be sinking or you could have some kind of debris in the fuel inlet valve. If this is the case you will need to pull the carb apart to check the inlet valve and the float adjustment. If you have a brass float you can shake by your ear and listen for fuel inside the float. If it is a composite float then you have compare the weight of it to a known good one to tell if it is bad. You can reinstall it and reset the level to the proper setting but if the float is absorbing fuel it will just happen again. Maybe in three weeks or maybe a year. And if your lucky like me it will not be at a convenient time.
Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
rally

Thanks for the reply, gents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine
Is it an Edelbrock? Could need a rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455
What make and model of carb is it?
The carb is an Edelbrock 1406. I just ordered a rebuild kit from Amazon. I've never rebuilt a carb before, so I'm sure I'll be back on here begging for rebuild advice before too much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee
Has it been getting poor mileage and/or hard starting recently, before this happened?
It averages roughly about 12 mpg running a 350/350 down the freeway every morning. It's never been great on mpg, but the only time it's gotten worse was when the fuel pump failed catastrophically. That was a long night. As far as hard starting, it seemed to vary. Sometimes it would fire right up. Other times it would turn and turn until I stopped for a second and tried again. Then, it would fire up. It seems to have gotten harder lately, though.

What's the best way to check the well plugs for leaks?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I rebuilt my 1406 a couple months ago. It's pretty straight forward, my tuck got to the point where it would barely idle and as soon as you gave it any fuel it would die. It was full of rust and varnish from old gas. Make sure you've got plenty of carb cleaner on hand to get everything cleaned up. It took me about 2 hours to tear it down, clean it up and put it back together.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post

What's the best way to check the well plugs for leaks?
Simple job on an eddy carb!
They don't have any to check that are a problem!
Now, if you had a quadrajet it might be a problem but you wouldn't see any evidence on the outside of the carb like your eddy does.

When you rebuild your carb you should also install a fuel regulator to limit the fuel pressure to 5 psi. Eddy carbs don't like more pressure than that.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote