The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
kelz702

New Fan and Thremal Clutch Advice

Hello all!
I have a 72 c20 350/350. I'm having a bit of an over heating issue. Temp fluctuates in traffic but stays cool on the freeway. I'm looking to stabilize the temp by adding a 7 blade fan and thermal fan clutch. I've done a lot of searching but can find anything definitive.
One obvious problem is how far the fan sits in the shroud due to the long water pump. I was hoping somone could tell me if I would be able to bring the fan closer to the motor by adding a fan clutch with a shorter shaft. And if so, how to go about searching for one. Another problem is the clearance on the outside of the fan shroud. The alternator is set pretty close to the opening.
Please let me know if there is any other information you need to to help me with this situation.
Thanks in advance!
Kelz
Attached Images

kelz702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
kelz702

Re: New Fan and Thremal Clutch Advice

A couple more pictures. Not sure what they are sideways. I'll try to fix that
Old 11-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
kelz702

Attached Images

Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Toms67

I see what you mean about the fan being too far in The shroud. The air is probably cavitating. I wonder if you were to run it with the shroud off Just for the heck of it. If it isn't too much trouble. Just to see what happens? I know my 67 doesn't have a shroud. But I had a six in it.
Toms67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms67 View Post
I see what you mean about the fan being too far in The shroud. The air is probably cavitating. I wonder if you were to run it with the shroud off Just for the heck of it. If it isn't too much trouble. Just to see what happens? I know my 67 doesn't have a shroud. But I had a six in it.
I would try but it's a pain to get that shroud on and off. Hopefully next time it comes off It will be for a permanent fix. LOL
Old 11-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
67 chevelle

You can get the fan an inch or inch and a half closer to motor by removing the spacer [if that is a spacer] between it and the fan pulley , just get shorter bolts
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
You can get the fan an inch or inch and a half closer to motor by removing the spacer [if that is a spacer] between it and the fan pulley , just get shorter bolts
That was my first thought. If I remember correctly, when I had it off a few years ago, it was attached to the fan. If I use it, I'll have to remove the flex fan from the spacer, cut an inch and a half off and put it back together. That might work but it will be a last case scenario. I would really like to upgrade to a fan clutch.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Living in Vegas, you're gonna need all the advantage you can get. That long water pump may make it difficult -- maybe impossible -- to get a fan to sit properly in the shroud. But it doesn't have to be perfectly centered.... close will work. FWIW, my clutch fan mounting surface is 1 1/2" to the water pump pulley. Can't tell how far your fan sits from the pulley -- maybe 2"? -- so you might gain a little going to a clutch fan.

I think at least part of your overheating problem is caused by my sworn enemy, a flex fan. The only time my K20 ever ran hot was when my fan clutch failed and I temporarily ran a flex fan. Some people get by with them but IMHO they just don't cool very well. And there's that little issue of them sometimes exploding....

I would ditch it and get a good heavy duty (not a standard) fan clutch with at least a 6-blade fan. My OEM fan is 7-blade which I prefer, but they are probably harder to find. There are threads here about how to identify the different types of fan clutches. When I have a little more time I'll look it up for you. Right now I'm in the middle of installing a radiator, had to take a coffee break.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
weq92f

No shroud here with straight fan right up against rad. So far so good.
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Living in Vegas, you're gonna need all the advantage you can get. That long water pump may make it difficult -- maybe impossible -- to get a fan to sit properly in the shroud. But it doesn't have to be perfectly centered.... close will work. FWIW, my clutch fan mounting surface is 1 1/2" to the water pump pulley. Can't tell how far your fan sits from the pulley -- maybe 2"? -- so you might gain a little going to a clutch fan.

I think at least part of your overheating problem is caused by my sworn enemy, a flex fan. The only time my K20 ever ran hot was when my fan clutch failed and I temporarily ran a flex fan. Some people get by with them but IMHO they just don't cool very well. And there's that little issue of them sometimes exploding....

I would ditch it and get a good heavy duty (not a standard) fan clutch with at least a 6-blade fan. My OEM fan is 7-blade which I prefer, but they are probably harder to find. There are threads here about how to identify the different types of fan clutches. When I have a little more time I'll look it up for you. Right now I'm in the middle of installing a radiator, had to take a coffee break.
Yes, a properly working cooling system is imperative to living a desert where the summers reach 115°.
My mounting surface is 2" from the pulley. I will take anything I can gain. Do you have the part number for the clutch you're using? As far as the 7 blade fan goes, I'm confident I'll be able to locate one in town. I'll just have to do a little searching.
The long water pump was a huge mistake and has cause all kinds of headaches. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with it now.
The rest of the cooling system is new. I replace the the radiator last summer with a new 4row brass and the thermostat is new. It might be something else but I'm pretty sure this flex fan is the problem
Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

The one I bought is NAPA p/n 271303, fan clutch #2747. Made by Four Seasons in Lewisville, Texas.

If you're interested in more info about fan clutches, I found this site helpful: http://www.haydenauto.com/featured%2...s/content.aspx

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
sKnNyPpY

I have a long water pump (72 4x4 350 in a 71 2wd GMC) and had a disintegrating flex fan and spacer and cobbled together fan shroud that I replaced with a clutch and solid 6 blade fan from Advance auto and an A/C shroud (not as deep) from USA 1 Industries. I had to trim about an inch and a half off the lower half of the shroud to get it all in but cooling is MUCH improved and I don't have to worry about a flex fan blade blowing through the hood or engine bay. DO IT! Your shroud looks great, it might need to be trimmed to get everything back in with it already in the truck. I had to trim the shroud, assemble the fan and clutch, insert it into the shroud and drop it in place, mount fan, then attach shroud.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #13
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
The one I bought is NAPA p/n 271303, fan clutch #2747. Made by Four Seasons in Lewisville, Texas.

If you're interested in more info about fan clutches, I found this site helpful: http://www.haydenauto.com/featured%2...s/content.aspx
I came across that lastnight while I was reading. I've been reading about fans and clutches for days now. LoL. I'm going on vacation for a week so I'll have plenty of time to track down parts. Thanks to everyone for the replies. If anyone else has any info that they think might help, please don't hesitate to reply.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #14
paul blair

Is the fan on backwards?
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
I have a long water pump (72 4x4 350 in a 71 2wd GMC) and had a disintegrating flex fan and spacer and cobbled together fan shroud that I replaced with a clutch and solid 6 blade fan from Advance auto and an A/C shroud (not as deep) from USA 1 Industries. I had to trim about an inch and a half off the lower half of the shroud to get it all in but cooling is MUCH improved and I don't have to worry about a flex fan blade blowing through the hood or engine bay. DO IT! Your shroud looks great, it might need to be trimmed to get everything back in with it already in the truck. I had to trim the shroud, assemble the fan and clutch, insert it into the shroud and drop it in place, mount fan, then attach shroud.
If I'm unable to locate a 7 blade fan, I'll be getting that 6 blade fan and clutch from Advanced Auto. Im able to get it all in there without cutting the shroud. It's just a major pain.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #16
kelz702

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul blair View Post
Is the fan on backwards?
LoL, I just ran out to check. It's not on backwards. It's pulling air threw through radiator to the motor. I wish it would have been that easy...
Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #17
tdangle

I like running a thermal clutch with fan also, with a fixed fan or flex fan the fan is really noisy. With the thermal clutch fan setup, it is like my truck had an additional gear to shift into on the hwy. the fan (my clutch fan was frozen) made it sound like I was driving 100 MPH at 50.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
kelz702

Update:
I ended up buying a Short Shaft Fan Clutch https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hda-2947/overview/ and 6 blade fan from Summit. The fan clutch brought the fan about an inch and a half closer to the motor. It's still not sitting where I'd like it but it will have to do. The temp gauge reads cooler for the most part. Occasionally the needle spikes but not as often. I was still concerned so I ran to Home Depot and picked up a inferred temp gun. Right below the thermostat housing reads 180°, sides of radiator reads 180° and the spot in the intake where the sending unit is reads 180°-190°. I'm pretty sure in in the clear. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #19
kelz702

Sorry for the pics. I don't know why they post upside down and sideways
Old 12-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Looks great, and thank you for the update! I never knew they made a short-shaft clutch. The blades appear to be well within the 'neck' (for lack of a better term) of the shroud, right where they need to be. Good fan and a good heavy-duty Hayden clutch unit -- you should be ready for those long hot Vegas summers!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay