The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
jbry311

Rear cab area

Hey all,

I wasn't exactly sure how to subject this post because I don't see too many posts on forums talking about the rear cab area. I have a '53 five window and I've recently ripped out the original seat and frame and I'm in the process of overhauling the rest of my cab. The area behind the seat needs some love, so I've cleaned it up and installed raammat, but I'd like to build a "wall" that looks clean and hides the raammat and blends with the new interior design. I have a fabric I've selected, but I'm looking for ideas about what material to use to as the backing. Wood, metal, heavy duty cardboard? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
jbry311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Rear cab area

I'd imagine that the same fiber material that upholstery shops use to make new door panels and back other panels is what you want.

Something similar to this http://www.perfectfit.com/15347/1545...anelboard.html

Another source https://www.miamicorp.com/products/S...COWLBOARD.aspx

I'd think that there is an Upholstery supply house in the Orlando area that carries what you need though. Here This looks like they might have what you need. http://www.bry-tech.com/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
hogfarm

I agree with Mr48,my gut came to my house and had it done in a couple hours
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbry311 View Post
Hey all,

I wasn't exactly sure how to subject this post because I don't see too many posts on forums talking about the rear cab area. I have a '53 five window and I've recently ripped out the original seat and frame and I'm in the process of overhauling the rest of my cab. The area behind the seat needs some love, so I've cleaned it up and installed raammat, but I'd like to build a "wall" that looks clean and hides the raammat and blends with the new interior design. I have a fabric I've selected, but I'm looking for ideas about what material to use to as the backing. Wood, metal, heavy duty cardboard? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
I build a structure in my 48 truck to house a 10" sub and two 6 x 9 speakers. I also added a small storage pocket. This area is difficult because there are so many compound curves. What I did was made a large buck so to speak out of 1/2" MDF that I curved and shaped that way I wanted it. I then covered the structure in fleece and fiber glassed it. After that I covered the whole thing in the same material as the rest of my interior. This was my first time of doing something like this and I was pleased with how it turned out. I will have to try to locate some pics. They are stored on a different computer.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
OrrieG

This is my TF but idea will work for AD. Made templates out of 1/8 masonite frame out of plywood. 1/4 plywood with cleats is covered with light foam and commercial grade chair fabric. After I bought my speakers I added the pods; wood frame, heavy cardboard, tee shirt fabric with fiberglass to shape, then foam and fabric. Same fabric was used on headliner and door panel inserts. I used stick on bubble insulation on the cab back and corners before final install.

Next step will be to add enclosed storage at the bottom.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-14-2016 at 02:02 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
jbry311

Thanks for all the replies and the great information. Like like there are several ways to go about doing it. I'll get to work and post some pics when it's done! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
jbry311 is offline   Reply With Quote