The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
pmeyers

1966 Turn Signal Mechanism

Restoring my old 66 c10 and I am trying to get the turn signal operational again. I don't seem to be able to disassemble my unit and after looking at a lot of pictures and info on this site it seems to look different that others that have seen. The switch seems to be attached to a pot metal hub- I broke the switch trying to get it loose. I don't seem to be able to get the pot metal piece out or to even move - can't figure out how it is attached. Have posted a couple of pics. One with the switch in place and the other just showing what I call the hub or switch mount. Any advice is greatly appreciated...
Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by pmeyers; 12-19-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
pmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
pmeyers

Re: 1966 Turn Signal Mechanism

Just to add a little info. The metal hub portion of the switch says Boyne. Called Dan's Classic Auto- really helpful- said that the 1966 C10 doesn't show using a Boyne switch. If I could just get it out, maybe I could find a number on the base. Any help would be appreciated....
Old 12-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
vince1

I don't remember much about when I worked on one but is there a possibility that turning the whole outside collar sets it free?
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
pmeyers

I don't seem to be able to turn the collar either, although it seems to be free of the bottom collar. I think that it's being held in by the switch mechanism. Was hoping someone had a similar set up and has removed it...
Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
pmeyers

Re: 1966 Turn Signal Mechanism-one last try

One last try at this:
Can't get the switch out. Turning outer cup doesn't help. Feels very solid, like it might somehow be attached. Parts folks say it should just pull out. Last option is to try and cut it out, hate to do that... Hope that someone could tell me what I'm missing... Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #6
jtrichard

I have a 63 GMC with that switch top of column is breaking up i can look tomorrow and what else might be holding yours ... You did remove the 3 mounting screws it looks like? Where in CA are you?
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #7
pmeyers

That would be great! I appreciate it. I'm located in a place called Ridgecrest- located in the high desert- two hours dues east of Bakersfield on the other side of the Sierras. About two hours north of Joshua Tree...

Last edited by pmeyers; 12-21-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: adding
Old 12-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #8
jtrichard

Been by there a few times on 395 heading to Klamath falls OR.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Captmatt

Everything should just slide off. Try some penetration oil on the shift bucket from the bottom. Both the inner and outer column tubes contact the shift bucket ( the part your trying to remove ) and sometimes years of old grease etc keeps it from sliding. I can't tell from the photo if it is a manual column. If it is, sometimes the shifter spring gets wedged between the bucket and shift tube which could prevent the parts from separating .
Attached Images

Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Captmatt

A photo of the bucket sliding off the tubes .
Attached Images

Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
pmeyers

Captmatt,
Thanks for the pictures- they helped. Seeing that there nothing locking the switch down and that I couldn't hurt anything I took large pair of vice grips and twisted the switch until it came off. Wasn't pretty but it worked.
Originally my truck was a 3 spd but 25 years ago I put in a 4 spd. The shift bucket doesn't want to come off, but I'll try some more blaster and see if I can get it loose. You indicate that it should just slide off as well?
If I can find one I'd like to replace it with one that doesn't have the connection for the shifter. Thanks again for your help
Paul
Old 12-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #12
2slowandlow

I tried replcing my switch as well without success. I got the switch in ok but it never worked correctly, wouldn't cancel when coming out of a turn. Also, the horn would stick on occasion, very embarrassing. I finally opted for an external turn signal switch and horn button instead of spending who knows how much to make the whole thing right. It works fine and passed inspection. But I can understand wanting to go back stock if doing a restoration.
2slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote