The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
FB85C10

Coilovers Question?

I have an 1985 C10 shortbed 2wd, Has anyone ever used there stock lower control arm and modify it to use a coilover verus buying a new lower control arm, if so any info would help and pics also, thanks!
FB85C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Coilovers Question?

I did it on a F250 for a friend, but the concept is the same. In his case we used late model F150 factory coil overs, but you will need to know what you want your truck to do when done.

I pulled the factory spring out, and cut off the spring holder. Then I modified the I beam perch to hold the coil over. We knew his front end weight, and the weight of the F150 the springs came off of. We used Cat scales for accuracy. Then I fabbed up a new support bracket, and it was near perfect. He decided he liked the new slight lift he got, and I fully welded it on. The truck felt lighter, and less chunky going through corners. Yes while no Corvette a big improvement for the crew cab F250.

For your arms I would cut the bottom of the spring pocket out. Weld in 3/16 plate to the bottom. Then weld vertical tabs for the shocks as close to the spindle as possible or reasonable. Then I would cut your cross member spring pocket to allow access to the coil over but also for it to move further out. I would do more of a reshaping here for access, and then weld 1/4 rod around the edges for strength. Plus finger retention due to lack of sharp edges.

Now fabricate a quicky top plate to slide the bushing mount I to, and bolt to the cross member.

Just tack your welds so you can move the shock as far out as possible for improved handling.

If everything clears your good to go, and fully weld.

When your springs are further out, and vertical. You run less spring rate for improved handling, responsiveness, but also ride quality goes up.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
SCOTI

Re: Coilovers Question?

Slight variations but overall the same deal. You would just need to fab a plate for the lower arm vs the brackets he built for his tubular arms....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=266485
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote