The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

Engine Run/Test Stand Fuel Cell

I sold a 4.8 engine from a 2005 silverado couple months back that came from a running truck. the truck was upgraded with a lower mileage 5.3. the buyer wanted it for a hot rod swap. so anyways the guy who bought the engine swears i sold him bunk and that the engine has a rod knock and a flat cam. seems very unlikely since i know exactly where the engine came from and the owner of the truck drove it every day to work.

Now i have decided that this will never happen again and i want to build an engine run/test stand.

I have been toying around with this idea for some time but have never decided to actually do this until NOW. I have some probably less than perfect ideas in my head how i want to go about building it. Basically i want to build the stand as if it was a front of a truck with engine mounts and parts where they would be, with a 'dash' board and a firewall (probably made from plywood). I would like to build this stand obviously as mentioned to run and test some of my engines, as well as for wire harness fabrication. since i am in the mood to build it mostly correctly as per it would go into my truck. i would like to also set up the fuel system in the same style as my truck and therefore would like to have a fuel cell with a GM style drop in sending unit.

The problem i am having with this plan is that i am unable to locate a small 3-5 gallon fuel cell that has a stock-ish style GM drop in fuel sending option. I am anti-frame rail fuel pump so drop is in what i am running in my truck.

a couple years ago i ran across a website where a guy was putting a corvette (everything) fuel pump in a MG midget and was using a gm sending unit in a TINY 1 or 2 gallon fuel cell as a transfer tank. I am unable to locate that website and was wondering if anyone has ever seen such a thing or would know where to go about getting one?

I could also build a tank but again i am unable to locate all the proper fittings to use the drop in sending unit in home made/custom tank.

any help would be appreciated.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Engine Run/Test Stand Fuel Cell

If all you doing is a test stand just to see if a engine runs or not I would just stick a inline pump and reg on it..but thats me..I can't find it at the moment but there is a in tank add-on pump/reg and I can't remember who makes it..but its kinda pricey just to check a motor.unless your just dead set on it
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Here's one at summit..but there are others..I've seen different brands used.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-130/overview/
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Here's the one I was thinking of..http://bangshift.com/general-news/ne...-ever-install/
Old 02-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
ls1nova71

I've started engines on the garage floor with just a factory intank fuel pump sitting in a windshield washer jug with about half a gallon of gas in it, but that probably isn't the safest way to do it. That said, if you can build a small tank, all you need are a couple of rings to make the fuel pump module fit in it. It's really pretty easy. This is how I just did the tank in my station wagon, and you could do the same, wouldn't have to recess it of course. Scroll down to post #94. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...r-wagon-5.html

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've started an engine on a cherry picker.

Don't do that.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I've started an engine on a cherry picker.

Don't do that.
That sounds like valuable experience, and a whale of a story.
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Cherrypicker? Haha I bet there IS a story or a moral to a story there..
Probably was spinning around like a longtail cat with his tail caught in a barn door..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'll frame it like this:

Engine is pulled from donor truck and sitting just above a tire, on a cherrypicker. Carbed motor.
Guy A: Does it still run?

Guy B: Yea, you could start it right now.
Guy A: You got all the stuff from it still?

Guy B: Yea its all there, I'm ready to drop it in and run.
Guy A: Sweet, lets start it I wanna hear it run!!
Guy B: Naw, we need a battery and probably some loose ends.
Guy A: Laaaaaame.

**Guy B goes inside to get fresh beer**
Guy A finds the jump pack
**Guy B returns to the garage swiftly after hearing a starter engaging, then a cacophony of metal noise**

Guy B: Dude, seriously wtf?>!
Guy A: It RUNS!!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Overdriven

Do like Sloppy Mechanics does. Drop the hat in a 5 gallon bucket, throw some gas in there and let er rip! Considering the likely amount of use I wouldn't go too nuts on a test stand unless it's for a shop.

Personally I'd just modify the 5 gallon bucket lid a little. Cut a hole in the lid so you can stuff everything in but the hat can still sit on top just like a fuel tank. Make 2 metal rings and drill 1/2 dozen holes through both at the same time. Weld nuts to one of the rings and attach to the underside of the bucket lid, use RTV or gasket to seal it to the lid. Install lid on bucket, you shoun't have to remove it again. Drop hat in, add gasket material if you like, put top ring on and bolt down. You can test whole hat assemblies like this. Cheap, effective and fairly safe if you seal it up. Not as pretty as a fuel cell but done right it's a not total butcher job either.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote