The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
chevymotocross

Gettin the Squarebody Itch Again

Been on these forums years back. Gained a lot of knowledge from you all when I had an 87' R10.

After driving around in a VW Golf for a few years as a commuter which served me well, the itch for another squarebody came about. Instead of another 2wd though, I'd like to get a 4x4 for a good reliable daily driver.

I live in New England so I know all too well about the rust that plagues these trucks. I spent countless hours on my 87' replacing rotted panels, bodywork, and undercoating. I want to start with a cleaner platform this time, so I will try looking out west. Undercoating as much as I can to prevent accelerated rusting during the winter months.

Here is what I would like:
- SWB 4x4 Fleetside
- 73-80 Nose
- TBI
- 700r4
- Part-Time 4x4 Transfer Case

I loved the TBI/700r4 305 in the 87'. Most reliable and easy to work on platform I ever had. I only have a 20 mile round trip so fuel mileage isn't too important but what is important is reliable easy starting, which TBI provided.

I love the 73-80 nose so I am somewhat at a dilemma. Obviously there is only 1 year I can look at for a factory installed TBI (87). This doesn't leave me with much to look at from a buyer perspective.

Would it be easier to
a. Find an 87' and swap the nose over to 73-80
b. Find a 73-80 and convert to TBI and 700r4

I know there are manufacturers out there such as Painless Wiring that have complete kits for this purpose. I would think this to be an easier route since I would not have to worry about color matching a different nose.... I really want to avoid any body work this time around.

With that said, how difficult are the TBI conversions? An LS swap is out of my league and budget.

Any particular years from this era better than the others? I would think by now, any of them would be a good purchase if clean.

Thanks!!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Gettin the Squarebody Itch Again

If you looking out here in CA, you pretty much can pick what ever you like Craig's list has a full compliment to choose from. If you need help "looking" at one, I am offering to help, if it's in the San Diego area.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Swapping the sheet metal would be easiest, but the paint won't match. So with paint it can get expensive.

I would do the motor, and swap in a 95+ Vortec for the roller cam an heads. Don't forget LS sawps are hugely popular, and the new Ecotec3 engines.

You can get a 4.3 Ecotec3 that is unloved for cheap, and it should work as well as a basic 350. If your swapping anyways. Look into doing a divorced transfer case so you can drop the 6 speed into.

When they first came out I drove a Chevy crew cab 6.5 bed with the 4.3, and it felt stronger then my cammed 4.8 07 GMC rcsb.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Message ScottH here I know he has a truck that may work for you but youd have to swap noses

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #5
andrewmp6

the 1991 crew cab square had a 4l80e with a np205 that can be a option if you find it for parts or your truck.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
chevymotocross

I may just keep my eye out for a clean 87'.... I'm in no rush.

The single light 83-87 front end is growing on me. I prefer them over the quad headlights and can easily swap over to it if I find a quad headlight model.

The search begins
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
daddyjeep

There are a lot of aftermarket fuel injection systems out there now and they are not terribly expensive. I know Holley has a nice system. I did a Howell TBI on my Jeep a few years back and it was pretty simple. They are much simpler now. Good luck with your search.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote