The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
Jeepwm69

Re: Oil and filters? It is the question of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
This is your original statement:

I'm addressing this post you made to me when I addressed another member about frequent oil changes even if the miles/usage of the vehicle was low. Now your claims are "oil sitting in sealed container doesn't wear out" and "don't keep the same oil in your engine and let it sit for 20 years", both of which are drastically beside the point that was being made. You have a thin grasp on how oil and additives perform, otherwise, this wouldn't be up for discussion. As shown in my post above, oil, more specifically the additives, get broken down due to combustion particles, fuel vapors, and moisture always present in a crankcase in an engine, and can actually damage and corrode the metal surfaces in an engine. This is (or should be) common knowledge and the reason OEMs include this in any service recommendation.
I think we're arguing apples to oranges.

I have a 1985 Jeep with 4600 miles on it. I change the oil about every 2-3 times I run it. If I change the oil in the Jeep, and don't run it, that fresh oil is not going to deteriorate from age, assuming it is in a climate controlled area where condensation might occur.

Once I run it, yeah, contaminants are left in the oil, and each time it is run, there will be more contaminants in the oil. Contaminants in the oil are bad.

Are the residual contaminants in the little bit of oil left in the engine after it is drained during an oil change? Yeah, but is it enough to be significant? That's a matter of opinion.

In theory, you are correct. But then again, if one wants to look at things that way, change the oil every time your run the car.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote