The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
rrenner

Title issue

Looking to find a totaled 58 truck with a valid title and vin. Anybody know if that exists? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
crossfire84

Re: Title issue

why?
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
OrrieG

swapping vin tags is illegal, get caught and life gets interesting down at DMV. Especially if the two frame vins do not match the one on the door jamb.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
mr48chev

Well if he isn't very far along finding a roached out hulk with decent frame is a a plus.

Hauling the remains of a bent frame with the vin that matches the title and a bill of sale for the frame under the truck with the bent frame or enough parts of it in the back of the truck when you go in for inspection works too.

At any rate I am a serious advocate of guys who don't have a title finding a hulk with a title. States are wise to the title mills that produce titles for a few hundred bucks and those titles don't always stand up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
bosco

Agree. I would not be swapping VIN plates. But, I also believe many of these classic cars and trucks have had frame swaps for a variety of reasons. I just titled mine and all the DMV cared about was the body VIN (have a different frame as it was tweeked), and it's still under build. Just paid my fees and all good.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
mr48chev

I wouldn't pass up a big truck at the right price. That lets you say "frame swap" with photos to show the big truck as you found it.

The only other thing I can suggest is study Craigslist for rigs in the radius of where you are willing to travel and maybe do a few road trips to off the beaten path areas.

I didn't think of it as we are all thinking you are using a stock frame but if you are using a later model frame having a title to a big truck makes for a convincing argument .

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
Port&PolishMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I wouldn't pass up a big truck at the right price. That lets you say "frame swap" with photos to show the big truck as you found it.

The only other thing I can suggest is study Craigslist for rigs in the radius of where you are willing to travel and maybe do a few road trips to off the beaten path areas.

I didn't think of it as we are all thinking you are using a stock frame but if you are using a later model frame having a title to a big truck makes for a convincing argument .

I have seen Way More Expensive Sports Cars - done that way .
Mixed bag of Parts -to- Complete a Rare Vehicle . Then they go dig up a frame etc. off the Bottom of the Ocean - Cliff - accident & Start Over . Movie Stars Car - Restored - Now worth 1.5 Million !
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #8
mr48chev

This Devin was a car that had a Ferrari chassis that had been part of a race car that had a notable racing herritage which for a Ferrari makes it worthy of being built back with all hand made or proper pieces.

Some Ferrari freak spotted it on Ebay when it was advertised an the "holy sh--- effect took place and then a story about going after the chassis emerged. I had one of those bodies years ago and a friend has it now and has it pretty close to being on the road or has it on the road.

On the rrenner what do I do now thing it may be a lot easier to explain why the cab and frame numbers don't match if he has the title and vin plate for a big truck along with photos of it as found. I bought this 51 a few years as a cab donor to my project. The front end sheet metal was beat up and the frame had probably 500 lbs of metal welded to it for brackets for pumps and a tank and what not and wasn't usable as a frame for a flatbed. It does have a vin and the paperwork signed off by the sheriff of the county it was in plus a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from.
AD trucks don't have numbers on the frames so that isn't an issue.