The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Flysocal

Is it worth re chroming original bumper?

I'm curious if it's worth re chroming an original front bumper. I can get a decent original for $100 and I'm guessing chrome will be $250. I can get a new OER premium for $180. My new bumper from classic parts bugs me because it has a 5th hole in the center. The splash apron doesn't have a mount point there. So I need to mount a bolt in the middle just to fill the hole. Looks like the OER bumpers have no center hole. My front end is 54 vintage.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
my56chevytruck

Re: Is it worth re chroming original bumper?

I would have told you before you bought this aftermarket bumper that I'd prefer the original for many reasons, so yes, I'd have the original rechromed.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
Flysocal

Yeah I've tried to keep original whenever possible but my 49 project Truck came with 2 front bumpers and they were both repops. It's possible one was original but I doubt it since it was a flimsy POS. They are both long gone. So maybe I buy a craigslist original (has GM stamped on the back) and have it cleaned up, fill the center hole and chrome it. At the tune of my limited time and around $400 all said and done. Can you please tell me what is better about the originals that warrants the time and cost? I haven't compared them side to side.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'm having my original bumper rechromed again, Currently it would look ok on a patina rig but the chrome pealed in a couple of spots because I drug the bottom of the bumper on something. One of those somethings was the approach/exit of a market in Bountiful Utah. Not a good town to try to drive a very low truck in.

Note: I first had it rechromed in 1981/82 when I rebuilt the truck the second time. Lots of miles on it since then. Lots of years sitting out in the weather tool

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've never had anything rechromed but I was under the impression that the cost was high..I've still got my original 55.1 bumper that's painted..I was just gonna buy a new front and rear bumper cause I need a rear anyway..at least they'd be the same
250 doesn't sound completely outrageous.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
joedoh

if you are going to have it chromed weld up all the holes and put studs on the back for mounting. just my 2 pennies.

chroming a bumper around here is ~$400, a little more than just some walking around money. More if you need prep. The second bumper is cheaper in fact they tell me to bring a bunch of smalls to throw in the tank at the same time because it will never be any cheaper

and I will throw this out there, chrome is as good as the prep and the care it gets. if you truly want something maintenance free, look into a stainless bumper. a good stainless welder can fix the center hole and polish it out again. and any time you get a scratch or a scrape, just a buffing wheel and some rouge.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Good to know joedoh..I never realized they made a stainless bumper...sumpin to think about... classic chevy has one for 410..cheaper than getting one rechromed around here...I got a buddy that had a bumper rechromed and he said it was 5bills..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
my56chevytruck

Original to repop is very different in the steel used and the process of stamping them. The repops say they are as good as originals but the quality of steel used is night and day. The other reason I'd stay original is the chroming process is quite a bit cheaper on the repops. There is a quality level of chroming the repops get that is quite a bit lower than even the NOS have and in many instances repops require rechroming far sooner than originals. That's from my experience and my .02 worth.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
torchlight

I went to get my original re-chromed but after some $$$ of strip and prep, the guys at the chrome shop just couldn't get it done. Under the surface, the old original just wasn't straight enough after decades of use to be able to be re-plated in a high quality way.

So, I bought the "premium" repop bumper through the LMC catalog and we were all surprised when it came in. It came direct from Keystone, which is a really reputable chrome shop in the Midwest and the exact same shop that had been working on my original bumper haha. It was a really nice piece - the chrome was top-notch so we used the repop and its been great.

That was definitely NOT the case for the repop chrome grille bars I purchased. Chrome was peeling on the backside right out of the box. So we took those brand new repop bars and had them stripped and rechromed by Keystone also. Beautiful now!
Old 06-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
Flysocal

I've had stuff chromed here in cali and most needs to be redone. My chrome guy is good about it but it's a pain just seems like quality control is lacking. I'm driving to classic industries next week to put my hands on a oer premium and if it's nice I will buy it.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
Katrina/10

If you want it to look original, there is supposed to be a hole in the center. GM put a fake bolt with no threads in there.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
if you are going to have it chromed weld up all the holes and put studs on the back for mounting. just my 2 pennies.

chroming a bumper around here is ~$400, a little more than just some walking around money. More if you need prep. The second bumper is cheaper in fact they tell me to bring a bunch of smalls to throw in the tank at the same time because it will never be any cheaper

and I will throw this out there, chrome is as good as the prep and the care it gets. if you truly want something maintenance free, look into a stainless bumper. a good stainless welder can fix the center hole and polish it out again. and any time you get a scratch or a scrape, just a buffing wheel and some rouge.
I agree X 2
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Good to know joedoh..I never realized they made a stainless bumper...sumpin to think about...

i had a pair, when I bought the 49 I made my deal and the guy started dragging out box after box of included parts, there was a pair of stainless bumpers in the mix. I put them on craigslist after I realized I would never have anything nice enough to run them on, the first guy came by and offered half "because they had some scuffs and scratches". so while he was there I put them on sawhorses and ran my buffer with white rouge over them. took a couple minutes. with them gleaming in the sun he gave full asking price. true story.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote