The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
slam59

Angry Which alternator for my 74 short bed

I have a 74 short bed with a 350 small block and need a alternator for it. What is the stock amps for this truck? I see some that are 140 amp and 110 amp as well as lower ones. I want to get a chrome one but some I see have reviews where the one wire plug was not in the correct position and other figment issues. My pigtail plug in is at the top in about the 11 o'clock position. Anyone here can recommend a decent chrome alternator that will have no fitment issues? Do I have to change anything if I go with the higher amp alternators?

1977 3/4 ton Silverado 454

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Which alternator for my 74 short bed

Stock amps depended on things like if it had AC but 63 was pretty well the max. I think my AC equipped 75 came with something like a 47 amp.

If your chrome alt is based on a standard 12SI, you can rotate the rear half to whatever 'clock' position you need by removing the 4 screws holding it together and simply rotating the halves to the proper orientation. No need to separate them first. If they do come apart, just use a paperclip or blowgun dart to hold the brushes in place while you put the halves together.

If you go with a higher amp then stock alt, you should replace the red bat wire from the alt to the junction block and the matching wire from the junction block to the starter post with larger wires matching the new alt output. Be sure to use wires with fusible links to avoid creating the "replace burned up truck" task.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote