The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Mattchu60

Re-assembling the square - best order to do things?

Well I spent the last 3 days completely taking my truck apart, she is in pieces laying in a shed right now. I am swapping the body over to another frame which I blasted and painted over the winter.

I am finding there are many differences from my new frame (83') and the frame from my current pickup (87'). For one - they must have started using metric bolts for everything that bolts on the frame. There are many other little updates, like the middle crossmember has additional supports which i need to swap over for the fuel tank switch to mount on.

After i get everything moved like fuel lines, I'm putting it back together. My original plan was to install the engine/trans first, then put the cab on and then the front clip last.

Then I started thinking maybe I should install the trans first, then the cab and the engine after. Or do the cab first, and try to slide the whole engine/trans/transfer case assembly under it.

Any thoughts - just looking for easiest/fastest way to do this.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Re-assembling the square - best order to do things?

My off the cuff thought is to install the drive train first including exhaust. Would allow a test start to check for fuel and exhaust leaks while everything is easy to get at. Remove the distributor before installing the cab since the clearance is so little.

I hated that mixed SAE/metric thing. Had a 79 Camaro where most of the body was metric and most of the drive train was SAE. Further, the gauge cluster panel used allen hex screws while the headlight bits used the torx screws.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Mattchu60

The whole process has been somewhat overwhelming. It seemed easier on paper vs real life, but I'm getting through it slowly. One disapointment is that I found both front fenders are rotted badly on the inside and need replacement.

I don't think I'll be able to run it without the cab - its using TBI and the ECM along with all those sensors, so I doubt it'll fire without the cab. The more I think about it, I think having the drivetrain in first is the right idea.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
The whole process has been somewhat overwhelming. It seemed easier on paper vs real life, but I'm getting through it slowly. One disapointment is that I found both front fenders are rotted badly on the inside and need replacement.

I don't think I'll be able to run it without the cab - its using TBI and the ECM along with all those sensors, so I doubt it'll fire without the cab. The more I think about it, I think having the drivetrain in first is the right idea.
I agree that the in first would be great. That said,

I usually set the cab first. (just have, don't know why) Get it squared up and lightly tightened up. Next motor/trans, next core support, fenders, bed, doors.
Like I said, I can see the merit in putting the motor in first along with trans, exhaust, etc, just never seemed to work out that way for me.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
RADustin

I've built several frame offs. It's best to build the entire frame and place the body when done. So engine, trans, most of the brake lines, fuel lines, etc without the body.

Then put the cab on. finish the brake lines to master. hook up the throttle. Core support. Hook up the rad. wire the truck. finish plumbing everything you can.

If you need to build the exhaust then wait. if it's already done then put it on. start and run the truck. break in the cam, etc. it's so easy to work on with no fenders and doors. You should be able to drive it up and down the driveway at this time and make sure the trans is acting right.

Then hang the rest of the sheet metal. Doors first. Align to cab. Set fenders off doors. Align hood off fenders and settle everything in. Probably going back and readjusting the cab and fenders. Place bed, build exhaust if you need to. Then finish out the interior last.

That's roughly how we have always done it. Sometimes when it's an assembled frame we will put the core support on before the cab and temp wire in some gauges and run the engine then. Just depends.
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote