The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #26
damnyankee36

Re: '62 Turn Signal Issues

I responded to AAW's first answer about the return ground path. Don't know how I missed it: The ground path goes to the OPPOSITE front turn signal bulb.

Bear with me... Once you understand the circuit, it will be easier to troubleshoot.

Look at the attached diagram. It's a generic drawing from my Camaro diagrams I modified for your 62. If you follow the path (arrows) for the right turn signal circuit, power goes from the T/S switch output on the DK BLU wire to the connector at the firewall. From there, it splits into two paths; one goes through the connector and to the right front T/S bulb filament and to ground. The bulb illuminates.

From that same split, power also goes to the T/S indicator, via another DK BLU wire, through the filament, then out through the LT BLU wire. From there it goes to the left front T/S bulb filament and to ground.

What needs to be done is get out your test light with the either T/S turned on. Start at the T/S and check for voltage. Continue to follow the paths until the light stops illuminating. There’s your trouble spot. Also, be aware that even though the turn signal housings are grounded that doesn't necessarily mean the ground path is making its way all the way to the battery's negative terminal. It's unlikely but the hinges have to provide a good path from the hood to the body.

It’s easier said than done cuz it always takes 10 times longer to find the problem than it does to fix it. Treat the electricity and wires like water and pipes. It works the same way.

Good luck! When you get back on it let us know what you come up with!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 62-63 C10 Turn Signals.pdf (23.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by damnyankee36; 05-08-2017 at 10:21 PM.
damnyankee36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #27
andyh1956

The only thing I would add to every one's good advice is to remove the flasher while trouble shooting these circuits & replace with a jumper. Just one less thing to worry about while working on it. When all circuits conduct voltage properly then re-install the flasher.
But at least he isn't trying to repair T/S on a Square Body truck & trying to figure out on his own how those $!%$ front T/S & side markers blink independently from each other using the same voltage signal! That like to drove me mad trying to figure that out!
I had a Falcon once with only one turn indicator. Early Mustangs were the same way. Too cheap to put a second light in the dash!

Last edited by andyh1956; 05-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #28
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
The only thing I would add to every one's good advice is to remove the flasher while trouble shooting these circuits & replace with a jumper. Just one less thing to worry about while working on it. Early Mustangs were the same way. Too cheap to put a second light in the dash!
Good idea. What's weird, according to AAW, is how before and after the 62-63 models had two indicators.
damnyankee36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #29
GWs62

Ok guys, I finally got her back after more than just a few days...(she's shiny now!)
After much thought, discussion and helpful advice I decided to check the wires going to the indicator. Since I have only one indicator in the instrument panel ('62) I had both L&R indicator wires spliced.
I removed one of the indicator wires and Wha-LA! Problem solved! Each front signal blinks independently!
I don't care if the indicator lights up when I turn left and not right.....

Thanks for your help/input!

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
GWs62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #30
goofy063

You could add a diodes to each indicator wire to stop the back feed that way your indicator will still work
goofy063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #31
GWs62

Ah,
Thank you. I hadn't thought of that.

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
GWs62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #32
jrthe1

Turn signal issues are a real PITA aren't they?
jrthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote