The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #15
RustyandGreen

Re: Pertronix install gone bad!

Thanks for the comments! Today I taped up the wire that melted the insulation off, I ran a new ignition wire from the fuse box marked "unfused ign" to the pertronix unit, the red wire. I started it a few times, it fired right up and idled well. I didn't drive it yet, but I was interested to see if the wiring would get hot while the engine was turning over, seems it didn't, no burning but slightly warm, but it was also 106 degrees as well here today. I plan to replace the main engine harness just to be safe, looks like it's close to $100 for the wiring from the firewall. The original coil seems to work fine, the instructions from pertronix only state that the ignitor needs a points style coil, but not that theirs is required. It would be a good idea to replace the coil anyway, when I do a full tuneup and check the timing I'll get a new coil for it along with all the usual stuff. Anyway it runs again!
RustyandGreen is offline   Reply With Quote