The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
demian5

"SOLVED" indicator on topics

Is there a way to add an indicator to a topic or title that shows that the issue was solved so someone searching the forum could see there is a solution, instead of looking at a dead thread (like apple and microsoft forums)?
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: "SOLVED" indicator on topics

Who would be the judge if a problem was truly solved or not? I see a lot of problems "solved" with Band-Aid fixes that would not qualify as solved in my book. I think people need to read through threads and apply their own judgment to the solutions that are posted. If you just stamp something "solved" on a Band-Aid fix, knowledge is lost. Just my $0.02.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Who would be the judge if a problem was truly solved or not? I see a lot of problems "solved" with Band-Aid fixes that would not qualify as solved in my book. I think people need to read through threads and apply their own judgment to the solutions that are posted. If you just stamp something "solved" on a Band-Aid fix, knowledge is lost. Just my $0.02.
Totally agree, but in the recent case where someone was having carb problems, asked questions, then found a cracked float, they would make the judgement call.

Just the ability to tag something a solved, but not a requirement of all posts.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
toolboxchev

Quote:
There are many "FIXES" for all kinds of issues. I agree with this as mechanical things are systems and something from another system can affect what one may think is the problem.

Ask me how I know? And I will lead you down my 11 year path to Doing IT!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
cleszkie

I think we are all on the same page with this concept. Some fixes are obviously correct for a given problem - these could be given "solved" tags. However, more often than not, many fixes could be considered successful only on a subjective basis. The very specific, pinpointed, and detailed problems are the ones that tend to get the specific and detailed fixes, which could be considered solved. But a lot of the problems fall into the super broad and vague category - truck is running rough for example, that tend to bring out a wide array of fixes.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Is there a way to add an indicator to a topic or title that shows that the issue was solved so someone searching the forum could see there is a solution, instead of looking at a dead thread (like apple and microsoft forums)?
That would be a neat option.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
dmjlambert

It would be neat if the forum had a way to subscribe to a thread in different ways. just subscribe because you want to see what happens (like we do now), subscribe and mark as a solution, unsubscribe and mark as unsolved. The more people who subscribe and mark as a solution, the closer to the top of search results that thread would be presented when you search the forum. People unsubscribing to a thread and marking as unsolved would make that thread appear pushed further down in search results. So it would be kind of like voting on the usefulness of the thread that affects the sort order of search results.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
To be able pass over threads that have no solution is the goal. It is a fantastic idea! And as far as judging if the solution was a real fix or a "Band-Aid" isn't that what we all do with any repair or modification. ( Do I do it the easy way or the harder way?) The point is not whether the solution was right or wrong, but to make searching for solutions more efficient. Thus freeing up time to compare solutions.
I would ask the moderator to take this discussion to a wider group than just us 67-72 folks.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
To be able pass over threads that have no solution is the goal. The point is not whether the solution was right or wrong, but to make searching for solutions more efficient. Thus freeing up time to compare solutions.
Bingo!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

There is a difference between something to get you home vs fixed correctly too.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
jocko

Personally, I'm not sure why marking something as solved matters, especially, as mentioned above, "solved" for the OP doesn't mean solved correctly or to someone else. It is worth the input even if there are no answers.

Having said that... I WOULD love to see this idea applied to "SOLD" on the parts board. An indicator field there can indeed save a lot of time if someone is truly looking to buy. Sometimes I have to read thru an entire thread only to figure out a part is sold. Sometimes sellers do a good job of keeping the post up to date. But if only one part is for sale and I knew before opening that it's gone, I probably wouldn't open it unless I just wanted to maybe learn a little about it. Or, on a multi part sale or a part-out, no indicator until all parts are sold. Part-outs may never get an indicator and that'd be fine. Just a thought.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote