The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Trashy

5.3 to SM465 fitment issues

I'll start off with my truck details, 68' C-10 long bed, was a 250/SM465, factory perches and bell cross member.
So I slung a 03' Gen3 between the rails this afternoon and my driver side cylinder head is up against the throttle linkage on the firewall and I still have roughly 3 inches to go for the block and bell to mate together. I thought I'd seen this work out in a couple other threads but maybe I misread. Anyway the only solution I've come up with at this point is to move the transmission forward. I haven't had any luck with searching, especially with photobucket killing lots of good build threads. What other options do I have?
Trashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 5.3 to SM465 fitment issues

what are you using for bellhousing and flywheel?..are you keeping the sm465?..what type mount adapters are you using? most mount adapter plates will let you position the rear of the LS in the same position as a small block...your 6cyl mounts may not be compatable with a LS swap..
what type thottle does the LS have..dbw or dbc...does your truck have a throttle cable or throttle rod gas pedal?
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Trashy

what are you using for bellhousing and flywheel?
Factory stock bell, sachs 1050 flywheel.
are you keeping the sm465?
Yes, currently. Five or six speed in the future when I find a reasonably priced one.
what type mount adapters are you using?
Ebay multi position type(not sliders).
most mount adapter plates will let you position the rear of the ls in the same position as a small block...your 6cyl mounts may not be compatable with a ls swap..
I will look into this some more, I was under the impression I6 perches were good to go.
what type thottle does the ls have..dbw or dbc
I am working towards dbc but could still go wire.
does your truck have a throttle cable or throttle rod gas pedal?
Throttle rod best I can tell, although I do have a 71-72 cable pedal setup for this swap.
Thanks for the help! I thought others had used the I6 perches but without the photos I am not sure now, this is likely my problem.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

this is pulled from a crazylonghorn response...

On the 67-72 trucks, the I 6 (230/250) stands are 3 1/2" rearward, from the smallblock stands...the 292, does have odd ball stands. The dr side same as the 230/250, but the pass side is moved forward due to fuel pump placement on the 292 engine. The difference tween the 6/250, vs the small block spot is exactly 3 1/2".....now you will note that the bolt holes are 2 1/2 " different on the stands placement, but due to the shape of the stands, it makes up the other 1 inch**On my swap, I moved the trans 1" forward, from the I 6 spot, left the 6 stands in place & slotted forward on the holes. I then welded a "tab' to the front of the stands, for the mount to sit properly on the stands. Due to the difference, on the rear of the block....the LS engine will set tighter to the firewall, than the gen I did**Stick shift (3 spd), use the auto crossmember under the trans....move it 1 " forward (trans/bell), this will be as tight as you want to be on the firewall! You can modify the stands as I did, or use the V8 sb stands in the rear set of holes on the top (redrill the bottom holes). I used a set of Carshop Inc plates on the block, with a stock replacement urethane mount.....Longhorn

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-07-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

this is the whole post...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=622640
Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Trashy

Shoot, I read that thread less than a month ago and whoosh, it went right over my head.
Thanks for the help Mongocanfly.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

haha..I have those "whoosh" moments sometimes myself