The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Cp2steve

Re: Ugly 61 freebie build

All the parts of this truck have been designed and hand built by me no kits were bought or available the plan was to bag front and rear with a c notch and secretly I was working on a short bed conversion. All fab work will be completed in my garage with exception of the drive shaft and exhaust.Heres a couple pictures of the front after spindle install and stock arms modified for bag mounts the complete kit was hand cut and full bolt on but is now drawn in cad if there are any interested people out there.
Attached Images

Cp2steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Cp2steve

The rear is currently being finished. The frame has been shortened notched again templated and drawn in cad and available if any person is interested.I bought a stepside bed that that actually matched the shotty existing red paint.the idea currently is to cut the existing cross member out while still using the front have of the x member and switch back to an own style carrier bearing for packaging purposes. I will be building chromoly trailing arms with bag mounts near the stock mount.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Cp2steve

Stocky 6.5 wide wheels were sourced prior to finding out how expensive white wall 16" tires were, so we ended up with a Sierra 225/70/16 thin white wall sourced online for about $100 per tire wheels and craigslist find center caps were blasted and powder coated putting the wheel and tire set in the 1k price range.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Cp2steve

Craigslist bed mocked up at rear bump height. Front of bed needs to be brought up but that will come with inner floor fab. Also still trying to source a tailgate if any body has a stepper GMC gate for sale.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
Cp2steve

Here's the chopped chassis and trailing arm components pre tube install. I used the pre existing bed mounts on the long bed chassis to "fixture" the shortened chassis the two rivit holes were square and only 12" apart the exact amount that needed to be removed. The rear has been chopped off for now I will build bumper brackets to fit.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Cp2steve

Current hurdles in this build are relatively small and will be solved with the injection of some cash and time.
1 front upper ball joint limits out and will need to be re positioned or new arm built neither out of my wheel house but open to suggestions
2 bag wiring is complete but needs to be installed
3 battery needs to be moved to the rear (harness complete) need mount.
4 drive shaft
5 cross member fabrication and install
6 completion of trailing arms
7 bed floor fab
8 exhaust
9 bag system mounted ;compressor,tank,relay, (assuming this will be done in the rear of the bed under floor)
10 re-plumb brakes assuming stock dual outlet master will work,any input should I get a vaccume assist booster?
Attached Images