The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
dsraven

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

with the 700r4, is there a shift module inline? they are electronically shifted correct? I am sure you have that figured out though.
that sucks but at least you got some road time. do the throttle pates work properly with the warped base? not binding?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
with the 700r4, is there a shift module inline? they are electronically shifted correct? I am sure you have that figured out though.
that sucks but at least you got some road time. do the throttle pates work properly with the warped base? not binding?
No electronics on this one except OD. The shop and I agree sitting for so many years may have destroyed it. Not sure the warpage will affect the plates They did need to add a 1' spacer and thicker gasket to resolve the vacuum issues and the engine runs fine. Will be speaking to MFR directly concerning the additional costs and hassles involved.

Toying with idea of ordering a new performance 700r4 and having it installed. Don't have that much time left to fuss with a poor rebuild.

If you can still do your own work you have this old mans envy,
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
vintovka

Well its been over a year with all sorts of ups and downs. One positive note is that there's an auto Parts supplier that is over and above.. I am completely impressed that Rancho Shocks stepped up to the plate and honored their "lifetime guarantee" and replaced all my shocks (and steering stabilizer}. They were added around 2001 and now 16 years later completely shot. They took the old ones back and shipped new ones at no cost. They make a good product unlike EDELBROCK whose quality control and customer service are in the toilet. I will never buy or recommend badly made and machined EDELBROCK products to anyone ever again. Their products cost me about a grand to resolve.

Also a thumbs up to PEP BOYS who warranted my 17 year old alternator. They were delighted to get it back in the original box for display.

Both the brakes and the tranny remain pricey issues but trying to have them both addressed soon. The last step will be the adding of the HAP ARNOLD AIR force wings to the doors and the memorial myrtle wood side racks. Then off to local shows, parades and USAF recruiting centers.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
vintovka

Well "George" had his first bath in about 20 years and a celebratory trip to the beach. The sliding rear and new weather stripping seemed to work to keep water out. First time in near 50 years its been anywhere near a beach. Use to go down to Corona Del Mar on a pretty regular basis often funded by hitchhikers with gas money. Wife hasn't ridden in since 1999 and looked a bit terrified but calmed down. Even saw a 50' dead sperm whale washed up north of Nesika. Will avoid that area for a good long while as even a dead sea lion can stink up the whole area.

Rides nice with all new shocks (thanks Rancho!!). I left off the 2 of the quad front shocks as i value what is left of my teeth. Tranny still shifting funny and brakes need another look as well. Still a hoot to drive and get thumbs up and honks all up and down 101.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
vintovka

Well been spending inodinate amout of time and $ correcting things the shop missed or messed up. That said i ordered the new side emblems today and went for a celebratory trip to the beach. Was able to contact the daughter of one of the pilots that rode in in this truck and later crashed in Laos. She seemed very pleased someone remembers those we lost in that war.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
vintovka

Unhappy Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Well we missed the memorial day parade --AGAIN! We tried like hell to be in the parade. The day we were to have the emblems applied the trans went out. Thought we could squeeze another couple hundred miles out of it, but no. Tranny burned up on post wash "drying drive". Poor thing has been up in coos bay last 3 weeks waiting for fix. Wound up sitting there as just another spectator right in front of Fred Meyer. Went over to the car show in harbor to explain our absence to friends Sorry we missed any of you who showed up to see us. Sorry no pics as was in poor mood. Well maybe next year.

Last edited by vintovka; 05-29-2018 at 09:16 PM.