The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
BaroneDog

T56 Shifter Location

Wondering which shifter location (of the three possible T56 locations) and shift handle you T56 folks used for your final setup. There are many shifter handles out there and would be helpful to hear what worked for people. Since there are many variables here, please be sure to list the following (my setup listed here):

1) Engine Type (LQ4)
2) Engine Perch, Motor mount adapter type, and engine position (CPP, LSX Innovations adjustable set to put the engine as far back as possible)
3) T56 Type (aftermarket Magnum)
4) T56 shift location and are you happy with it? (currently fully forward - may change - see below)
5) Shift Handle type (not yet decided)
6) Bench or Bucket Seats? (Bench)

Actually, any experiences you are willing to share about your shifter position (even with different transmissions) would be helpful. The way my T56 is currently setup, the shifter will come through the floor pretty far forward (see photo below). The wide blue tape spot. most forward, is where the current position would be. The other two, thinner, pieces of tape show where the shifter would come through if I moved the T56 shift position to one of the two rear shift locations.

I imagine each of these positions will have a different feel and will require different handles to make shifting comfortable. The truck originally came with a Muncie and the shifter was very close to the bench. For some reason that seems like the right spot, but I have never driven the truck (was not running when I bought it) so not really sure.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: T56 Shifter Location

It will be mostly personal preference, which for me would be forward-most, which should land it roughly center of the trans hump

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote