The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #11
Ramjet51

Re: What are your thoughts on reproduction door shells.

I think I should share...and I really do regret not finding this thread 4 months ago....I’ve ran through 3 reproduction drivers doors over the past months until I finally understood what went wrong. I purchased my doors from classic muscle, great service, although they listened, I’m not sure that they will follow up with the manufacturer. The issue is that the doors are all 1/8” to 3/16” too high which can be attributed to the window frame position. These frames have 4 spot welds at front and back which set the frame height so evidently a welding jig has slipped. IF YOU ATTEMPT to install the door, once on the hinges most will set the height so that the frame fits at top, if you do this and close the door, you’ll bend the bottom front corner of the door as it is VERY weak. If you start with bottom first to fit frame at top, the door won’t close, so naturally you’ll drop the door and when you close again...you bend the corner.....Yes, I did this...and my body shop did this....and another friend in SC did this, so be careful if you buy reproduction......I’ll agree originals are best, but some of us live in pretty bad weather....