The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Any differences in side trim vendors?

You’re about 15 years older than me...that really ain’t much I remember when the USA was the manufacturing giant as well, and when that ceased to happen. My dad talked about it all the time in the 80’s, like he had a crystal ball It could have made a difference then, too late now, time to move on I used counterparts trim based on the real life experiences of a longtime member who did real comparisons too...with installations not just appearance out of the package. My trim fits great, if I recall correctly I had to “bow” the upper door pieces to conform and lay perfectly flat. No big deal, I don’t expect the part to mount itself without a little coaxing. I can’t justify paying $400 more for something that isn’t $400 “better”

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

My brother is 15 years younger, so I'm very familiar with the differences that short amount of time coming up meant. When I started driving a '71 was brand new. Virtually all American and emissions equipment-free. Toyotas barely had a foot into the market back East and we had no idea what a fuel shortage was. By '86 vehicles had fuel injection, like one muscle car, and the mentality was buy Japanese/Americans make junk, and most American brand dealerships carried a foreign brand as well. I have rolled with the changes, still don't fully embrace them. I've noticed the ones who care the least about such things are the ones who's careers have been least affected. Although the type of work I do has been affected in a general sense, I have found ways to offer services on a different level where people expect more and are willing to pay for it, or by filling niches.

I have done my own real life comparisons with the three categories mentioned and base my opinion on that, as well as allowing my feelings on the dying American manufacturer to play in. This is the opinion I offered here. I am fine with having others hold differing opinions. I don't need everyone to agree with me to be a man of my own convictions. And knowing I may be a minority will never keep my mouth shut. I've thought about it, continue to do so, and so far still feel the way I do. Restoring these trucks is an elective expense I never felt was to be done on a tight budget. In the time that I began doing old vehicle there were not all these options, no reproduction and no online price shopping. We were just happy to find what we needed. I paid $325 for the N.O.S. saddle steering wheel I have through a listing with no picture in HMN and from an individual in OKC. I was super happy to have it and was willing to send that much money, 30 years ago, sight unseen to a stranger half way across the country for the chance at having exactly what I wanted that I knew was super rare. Things have changed an awful lot between my time and my little brother's.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #28
MikeB

In my experience, virtually nothing from China is worth a darn. Wrenches don't quite fit hex heads, brittle castings break, ratchets feel like something that came out of a cereal box, holes are drilled in the wrong places, and threads are sometimes neither metric or SAE. And what's worse is the vendors probably make more money (certainly more gross profit) selling a $50 imported part than they do selling a $75 USA-made part. And that's after importer mark-up.

That said, I have found parts from Taiwan and Mexico to be much better quality. Over the years, I had one vendor tell me he stopped selling window regulators because this particular fitment was made by only one Chinese company, and his return rate was greater than 50%. But finally a Tawainese company started making them, and he said they were top-rate. Another vendor told me a about a Taiwanese company that made great hood hinges, and man was he right! Better than OEM, in my opinion. I wish that particular manufacturer would sell under a brand name so we always knew what we were getting! Finally, I have had good success with "Counterparts" that are sold in packaging similar to GM's. I think they are also Taiwanese made, but am not 100% sure.

Since we're stuck with so many imported parts these days, we simply have to find the honest, ethical, vendors who will tell you which parts are well made and which ones are not. As I mentioned above, Kenny's Trucks seems to be gone, but I've found H&H in Arkansas to be a trusted vendor, and I hear GMC Paul is pretty good.

Thanks for all the input.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #29
davischevy

I buy a lot of stuff from H&H Classic Parts because I can drive there and pick it up.

Good people and they won't sell inferior products.

Good discussion. We all have different perspectives, but that's a good thing.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Mike, you make a very good point for all to consider. As I recall in my time, Japanese products were known for being inferior junk imitation crap. Look where that reputation climbed up to. Then it was Taiwan, and I have been having said the same to me about better quality. China hasn't gotten there yet. I believe they will, as I believe people want to have pride and improve themselves in their work. The reason Mr Fat Cat out For Bigger Profits goes to "the next nation of cheap manufacturing nation" is to get to a ridiculously lower pay scale that automatically broadens his margin by hundreds or thousands of percents. That economy is so cheap because it is so undeveloped. The skills required for these new job marked are also undeveloped. Mr Fat Cat doesn't care, he's a money man. The new Mr. Bossman and Mr. Factory owner are also mostly concerned with making the most profit at their new craft. Inferior materials, techniques, tolerances, etc all abound. Doesn't matter. That Sea-tainer full of product is non-returnable and the orders will keep on coming because the stuff is cheapest. In time, the economy improves, competition within that nation increases, and wages rise. The profit margin starts closing in and quality improves. Probably just plain experiences adds in somewhere, too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #31
davepl

NOS is rarely perfect, but it always fits.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote