The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
ho70

Ac throttle stop acuater thingy bracket

OK-What did you guys who have a bb 402 with AC do with your ac throttle stop thingy. Edelbrock does not sell a bracket, just the complete set up for $265. Ihave a performer inatake and 1406 eddy carb with no bolt holes to attach to.
Attached Images

ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Ac throttle stop acuater thingy bracket

Not the best video but it shows the idea and you get some Ramones too! The thingy is a fast idle solenoid. If you want to do your own searches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gX-fegdXw
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That's the idle stop solenoid bracket, which bumps up the idle speed when the AC is on. If you have some skills, you can make one. Stuff like this is why I no longer use E-brock carburetors. A properly set up Q-Jet has it all over them, in my experience- all that GM engineering is behind them. Maybe someone here has come up with a cheaper solution. Interestingly, my '70 truck with a 400 and AC does not have this solenoid. Maybe because it is a Federal Emissions truck?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Sorry about chiming in uninvited since I don't have a 402, but I'm just curious. Do you feel you need an A/C idle stop solenoid? I have a 350 with factory A/C, and I didn't see any evidence my truck had a solenoid, so I don't think they were factory equipped for all configurations. The A/C compressor barely makes any difference in idle speed.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Sorry about chiming in uninvited since I don't have a 402, but I'm just curious. Do you feel you need an A/C idle stop solenoid? I have a 350 with factory A/C, and I didn't see any evidence my truck had a solenoid, so I don't think they were factory equipped for all configurations. The A/C compressor barely makes any difference in idle speed.
Same here, my truck has a 350, the original carb and has never had a step up solenoid for the AC. I don't notice any difference in idle speed with the AC on or off.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 AM   #6
ho70

thanks for the replies......my Qjet had a split in the base and jb weld was ineffective so son bought the eddy
I don't know if I need it as I just installed the rebuilt engine and am doing plumbing and wiring. Will try with out it and see and if I have to, I'll make a bracket...thanks for the video
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Coley

A lot of times those solenoids were removed from the Quadrajets so its not uncommon to see them missing.
The clue is to look for is the single, spare wire & push on connector floating around the engine harness that connected to the 'missing' solenoid. Often laying up/around the intake manifold or tied off (cut off?) near the back harness entry point.
My 350/a-c truck was missing the solenoid as well.....and again, it was removed at some point, but the wire is still there
I have a few of them with the brackets, but just haven't gotten around to putting one of them back on....probably because I don't use/need the a/c on the truck much.
I'm pretty sure every a/c truck came with this on the carb....at least in the '71-72 trucks...not sure about the earlier ones.
Another reason they go missing is if the carb was changed out and it didn't have the casting aperture in the carb body to remount the solenoid bracket.....and a lot of carbs are non-original or newer.....so that solenoid would have been 'deleted'.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I'm pretty sure every a/c truck came with this on the carb....at least in the '71-72 trucks...not sure about the earlier ones.

All good
Coley
My '69 3/4 ton with a 350, Quadrajet, TH400 and A/C made in Fremont and bought new in southern California has never had a fast idle solenoid. I'm pretty sure they weren't used until 1971 or 1972 as you suggest.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote