The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Logical or not?

I wont go into all the whys but in a month or two Ill probably (probably ha) be selling my GMC K. I love it the most of any of these years trucks Ive owned, but I almost never drive it. I have my nephew drive it just so its happy. Plus Im not truck poor anyway.

So right now it has a four inch lift with really nice mags and nice tires. Mags and tires Im into a bunch of money, well a bunch in my book. I also have a set of stock springs, and stock style 16 inch steel wheels but no tires. Ive looked though and I can get a set of very nice used tires pretty cheaply.

I don't think Ill get a lot for my truck. Its very cool, but tired, and its in need of rust repairs, and it has misc leaks etc. In my mind I feel like the end game on the price will be the same whether it has the stockish (cheaper) look or the lifted super cool mag wheel look. So why not keep the cool rolling stock that's on it now and put the truck back to a stockish look when it comes time to sell?

Agree or no?

NOT A FOR SALE THREAD
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
KevinK7

Re: Logical or not?

I think you said it best yourself, the price will relatively be the same stock setup or the way it is. IF you decide to sell, why spend the extra cash on tires when it may not affect the price in the long run.
For a prospective buyer, it could be someone on either side of the fence, and you may end up finding someone who likes it better as is, so money spent on stock tires isn't going to add.
Get in and drive it, ...who knows, maybe you'll just decide to keep it as it is
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I can get a set of pretty nice stockish sized tires used for less than I paid for one of my current tires.

So I keep my current very nice tires and wheels and possibly use them down the line. Or sell them separately and make some of my money back, money I wouldn't have gotten if I left them on ... That's my thinking at least.

I was asking my wife what she thought I should do. Why don't you just ask your truck friends on line? It seems obvious to me what you should do, don't be so wishy washy. LOL, gotta love our better halves.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
dmjlambert

If I were considering buying it, I would prefer the stock wheels and stance. So I suggest sell them separately. That is my view.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I don't think you'll use them down the road if you're not using them now. You like this truck but getting rid because you don't drive it, so why buy another truck? I think you will get more for your truck with them. They lend a good look to it as is. You'll be taking that away. What did it have before the slots, I can't remember. I also think you are underselling the truck. Your feelings about it don't matter, to anyone else they will either take it on or not. They'll be taking on whatever it needs. It's not going as a restored truck, but you're not selling it because of a major problem either. All the 67-72 K/20s and 2500s are hot and worth some bucks. You can have your nephew driving it around, so it isn't junk.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Don't sell it. You'll regret it 5 minutes later. You have a cool truck and it doesn't sound like it's breaking the bank right now. So just keep it. Lots of people (me included) don't drive them all that often. And once it's gone it's gone.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

It's a K20 that runs and drives ,Don't underestimate what it's worth to a buyer . When your ready to part ways list it on ebay with a high reserve and be pleasantly surprised what it sells for .

When listing anything for sale on ebay always have the end of the auction at 10:00 pm Sunday west coast time .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Heres what Ill have left truck wise if I sell the K 3/4 ton GMC. I have enough parts, and a large amount of it NOS, to put together a 71 Short 4x4 and a 71 short 2 wheel. Wont be matching frame numbers, but actual short frames and short boxes. I have a 72 K20 burb converted to K10. I bought it as a shell and now have nearly everything to complete it, including 3/4 ton running gear. I have my panel, that seems like I could possibly be buried in it ha. I have a 71 Cheyenne Super with a big block 157 inch motor home, less the home. It runs and drives and is very low miles. I have a couple of parts trucks, and a very large stash of misc parts in including some NOS trim for 67-68's. I hope, but Ive been saying this forever (so I think I have an actual problem lol) to get it down to one classic Chevy truck

I also now own an Off Brand, full sized truck that's low miles, clean and comfortable to just hop in and drive. It will be serving my truck and commuter use for now.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
ncpetersc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
When listing anything for sale on ebay always have the end of the auction at 10:00 pm Sunday west coast time .
Why? Just curious.
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I wont go into all the whys but in a month or two Ill probably (probably ha) be selling my GMC K. I love it the most of any of these years trucks Ive owned, but I almost never drive it. I have my nephew drive it just so its happy. Plus Im not truck poor anyway.

So right now it has a four inch lift with really nice mags and nice tires. Mags and tires Im into a bunch of money, well a bunch in my book. I also have a set of stock springs, and stock style 16 inch steel wheels but no tires. Ive looked though and I can get a set of very nice used tires pretty cheaply.

I don't think Ill get a lot for my truck. Its very cool, but tired, and its in need of rust repairs, and it has misc leaks etc. In my mind I feel like the end game on the price will be the same whether it has the stockish (cheaper) look or the lifted super cool mag wheel look. So why not keep the cool rolling stock that's on it now and put the truck back to a stockish look when it comes time to sell?

Agree or no?

NOT A FOR SALE THREAD
Not having seen the truck it sounds like the most likely buyer is one who uses it as a basis for their own project with their own vision. Only helpful/useful including parts that they are likely to use in their own build.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I love your truck the way it is. But the wheels would look good on the burb too....I'm torn between the two.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
weq92f

I'm in the keep it group. Keep it! Loan it to your nephew for a couple months. Give him a small tool kit to carry along and learn to fix it when it breaks!

If you do sell. Don't keep the wheels because they will remind you of the truck every time you look at them.

You have an Off Brand truck? What could that be I wonder...

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Grumpy old man

"When listing anything for sale on ebay always have the end of the auction at 10:00 pm Sunday west coast time" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpetersc View Post
Why? Just curious.
The most buyers will have free time to be online , If you list something that ends in the middle of the day during the week many people are at work .Just like if your a buyer from classified ads the best deals are around the 1st of the month when people need cash for rent /mortgage, If your a seller the best time is in the middle of the month when people have extra cash .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
"When listing anything for sale on ebay always have the end of the auction at 10:00 pm Sunday west coast time" .

The most buyers will have free time to be online , If you list something that ends in the middle of the day during the week many people are at work .Just like if your a buyer from classified ads the best deals are around the 1st of the month when people need cash for rent /mortgage, If your a seller the best time is in the middle of the month when people have extra cash .
Very true. If you notice that is when the parts board here has the most viewers as well as the most ads being placed.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #15
elorenzof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Don't sell it. You'll regret it 5 minutes later. You have a cool truck and it doesn't sound like it's breaking the bank right now. So just keep it. Lots of people (me included) don't drive them all that often. And once it's gone it's gone.
I agree with FleetsidePaul - take your time in this to make sure it's the right decision. About 20 years ago I had a 72 c10 that sat in my garage for about 2 years, and then i decided i needed the garage space and sold it and then i regretted it.
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
jocko

I'd say the current wheels and tires won't allow it to sell for more than the difference between what it would sell for with steelies (and steelies will attract more interested parties) minus the cost of the new tires you're talking about.

If you think there's a chance you'll want to use them, hang onto them, - if you KNOW you won't then I'd sell them separately as you'll get more $ in the long run - you'll be selling a truck to someone that wants that truck, regardless of its tire/wheel combo - and you'll be selling the tires/wheels to someone who wants exactly that tire/wheel combo, and both parties will be willing to pay for something they want, regardless of what wheels/tires are on the truck and regardless of whether or not a truck is attached to the wheels/tires. But, it is more work for you - selling wheels and tires can be a pain - but if it's the ones I'm thinking you're selling, you won't have any problem at all.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah