The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

How tight does your truck fit in the garage?

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been on but life has been busy. I'm looking to move and I want to get my truck out of storage and keep it at the new place.

my question is how much room do we need? most of the places i'm looking at have single car garages, from what i found online our trucks are about 78 3/4 at the widest point.

Since my truck doesn't run i'm probably going to put it on Dolly's and roll it in the garage. so i'm not worried about opening the doors.

If anyone has a 7'ft wide (or smaller ) single door garage and can give me an idea of " it fits by a couple inches" or pics I would appreciate the help.

hopefully by bringing it under the same roof I can start wrenching on it again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
bmxbang

Re: How tight does your truck fit in the garage?

I store mine in a small garage spot but the door is 8ft wide and its has some room to spare on each side but I don't know if it has a whole foot that might be pushing it. But I can say 8ft is no problem at all to get into!
bmxbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
custom10nut

On an 8 ft door you have to fold your mirrors (white Elephant ears) in to clear. If you have the Sport Mirrors you’ll be good.
With a 7 ft door you may need Crisco to help get through the opening
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Not tight at all. When my brother shows up it's going to take up all three bays
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
darrellyates

OK, this is a little off topic, but not really....

Several years ago we had a major hailstorm come thru the area. I have two distinct garages, and too many cars. So, I was able (with the help of some roll-around casters) to get them all in the garage...

And, there is one C-10 in there, so not completely off topic!

Enjoy!
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
bill3rail

The garage door my truck drives through is about 94" so I have no issues with a truck that is about 78" to 80" wide.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

No one thought my lifted Burb would fit in a normal 2 car garage
Attached Images

68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

No help, but the title made me chuckle. 9ft door, and I maybe have 1.5" clearance per side.

https://youtu.be/IS4GPTIaV7s?t=9s
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
OK, this is a little off topic, but not really....

Several years ago we had a major hailstorm come thru the area. I have two distinct garages, and too many cars. So, I was able (with the help of some roll-around casters) to get them all in the garage...

And, there is one C-10 in there, so not completely off topic!

Enjoy!
That blue truck is like the evil mini-twin to mine.... same color, same bed wood, same white can, everything! Just mine is a longhorn. We could call them George and Lenny!

When I lived in the suburbs in a decent sized house it had an attached 3 car garage and only ONE bay had a chance of holding our new Escalade at the time and it pretty much touched at both ends. So modern garages as NOT as large as one would hope, because people just don't need to park their '70 Eldorados anymore (just their '18 Escalades I guess!)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 AM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

It doesn't.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
That blue truck is like the evil mini-twin to mine.... same color, same bed wood, same white can, everything! Just mine is a longhorn. We could call them George and Lenny!

When I lived in the suburbs in a decent sized house it had an attached 3 car garage and only ONE bay had a chance of holding our new Escalade at the time and it pretty much touched at both ends. So modern garages as NOT as large as one would hope, because people just don't need to park their '70 Eldorados anymore (just their '18 Escalades I guess!)
Well, hope you have better luck with yours than I had with that one...

I built it when my eldest son was a Senior in high school. (I've told this story on this site before...) Anyway, he said he was going to be a Doctor, and I told him I would give him that truck when he got into medical school. So, in May of 2016, he brought me his acceptance letter to med. school. True to my word, I gave him the title thinking it would stay in my garage 6 years, and someday he would re-restore it with his son....

Two days later at GoodGuys in Nashville, he sold it to a guy from Mobile AL. So, the Mini-Me to your truck now lives in Mobile AL. Yes, it ticked me off, and I built this one to replace it. So, I no longer have the blue/white one... And the wife made me pick a different color.

No harm no foul. My youngest gets this one in my will with instructions that I don't care what he does with it only one condition.... He cannot under any circumstances ever sell or give it to his older brother....

(At least I've got a good attitude about it don't you think???)
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
4carbcorvair

Quote:

I built it when my eldest son was a Senior in high school. (I've told this story on this site before...) Anyway, he said he was going to be a Doctor, and I told him I would give him that truck when he got into medical school. So, in May of 2016, he brought me his acceptance letter to med. school. True to my word, I gave him the title thinking it would stay in my garage 6 years, and someday he would re-restore it with his son....

Two days later at GoodGuys in Nashville, he sold it to a guy from Mobile AL. So, the Mini-Me to your truck now lives in Mobile AL. Yes, it ticked me off, and I built this one to replace it. So, I no longer have the blue/white one... And the wife made me pick a different color.

No harm no foul. My youngest gets this one in my will with instructions that I don't care what he does with it only one condition.... He cannot under any circumstances ever sell or give it to his older brother....

That sucks! My dad bought the Jeep CJ I have now new in 1984. I still remember the day we test drove it at the dealership, I was 10, almost 11. I learned to drive and took my drivers test in it. In 1998 my dad sold me the Jeep for $1 (he kept that $1 and gave back to me me just before he passed in 2012). The only way he would 'sell' it to me is if I promised to keep it and not sell it. It will at some point be passed down to one of my sons.

Sorry to be off topic, I'll get a pic of my K20 in the garage.

Last edited by 4carbcorvair; 09-12-2018 at 07:05 AM.
4carbcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4carbcorvair View Post
That sucks! My dad bought the Jeep CJ I have now new in 1984. I still remember the day we test drove it at the dealership, I was 10, almost 11. I learned to drive and took my drivers test in it. In 1998 my dad sold me the Jeep for $1 (he kept that $1 and gave back to me me just before he passed in 2012). The only way he would 'sell' it to me is if I promised to keep it and not sell it. It will at some point be passed down to one of my sons.

Sorry to be off topic, I'll get a pic of my K20 in the garage.

Now that's a great story! Your Dad was a great guy!! Thanks for sharing! (And I love the Corvair convertibles too!)
D.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SWB4x4 View Post
No one thought my lifted Burb would fit in a normal 2 car garage
boy you musta flattened the tires to squeeze that burb in . lol. good looking Pontiac
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
ratty69

What garage?
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #16
YBNORML

Just barely
Attached Images

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
boy you musta flattened the tires to squeeze that burb in . lol. good looking Pontiac
haha you would think so but nope I have 32s on it right now and was planning to go to 33s but I think that would put it over the edge.
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:

You got that right. Blue/white is my favorite 67-70, but your truck & color are ace.

I'm leaving mine to my eldest, though I toyed with the idea my other son would get it, because no sign of the eldest when I needed to install an engine crossmember Truth is, the option starts with the oldest, the others would receive a little something something in its stead. Whomever gets it "can't" sell, it needs a garage, and it's not a daily driver. I'll be watching too, make sure they get it right
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #19
franken

Truck's a boy. Camaro get's the garage...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote