The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Phungki

4 x 4 and V8 value

This is hardly a black and white question but any ball park answers are appreciated. I’ve been looking at ads for mid to late 50s chevys for quite awhile now.
I’ve found a few that have been put in 4x4 frames with later model V8s. These have power steering and power brakes. What monetary value does this add to the truck. Obviously if you are a purest it adds zero value. But if you are not and assuming it’s done correctly, what’s that value?
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: 4 x 4 and V8 value

Spent a lot of $$ and some choices were influenced by need and circumstances. That said i do not regret either the 4x4 or the V8 plus the auto trans. It is flat fun to drive every time and limits fear of getting stuck. When parked next to restored or slammed ADs it draws way more attention.

Not sure if any real monetary value is added or subtracted. Pure stock is nice but very limited is use if a daily or working truck on rough terrain or in bad weather. After decades of dealing with 50's technology i could also not keep up with the proper maintenance, repair, "drive ability" and all that entails (torque tube "okey" bushings and poor brakes come to mind). Bottom line is what you want and need.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

Check OrrieG's thread for a look at converting. Too many variables possible to make an educated estimate on value.. It will depend on what the donor was, what engine , transmission, how many high dollar accessories in the suspension, and importantly, the quality of the work. Also, the quality of the body that they started with will have an effect on the value, so it's difficult to say. If it's just sitting on a later model frame from an '80's truck with a straight front axle, 350 engine, either automatic or four speed, with a body lift, decent wheels and tires, and a few other goodies with a decent appearance it might be worth a lot to some people but probably not to someone who doesn't need 4X4 and just wants a smooth driver now. I still love the look of a 4X4 but don't want another one.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
vintovka

If the choices were mine i'd still go with a 54/55-1. A nice newer low mileage GM 4x4 IFS chassis with an LS and newer tranny, PS, PB, AC tow package. That or a 2004-2007 Ram 4x4 2500, diesel engine, the works. The latter would require lots of mods including making room in the cab for the longer engine.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
MiraclePieCo

Maybe these will provide some insight:

$20,000:
https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/d...704809782.html

$23,995:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-3...pbmV8I&vxp=mtr
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
Phungki

Thanks for the responses. I’m just trying to figure out what the added value is when I see one for sale. It’s hard to get a value on a modified vehicle. So I figured I’d ask the experts. I’ve seen a few for sale but I just don’t know if it’s worth what they are asking. To me power brakes and steering adds value. Putting it on a 4x4 frame with disc brakes adds value. A V8 adds value. I have never done anything like that and don’t know what it all entails so I can’t honestly say what it’s worth. If I bought a truck that wasn’t already set up like that I more than likely wouldn’t do it. I do love 4 wheel drive. All my vehicles have it 😁.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
vintovka

Take a look at the cost of all the individual conversion kits for stock ads. Adds up real fast along with the labor to install.

BTW i think 7" may be downright dangerous (just to get in an out of!!). Power running boards make my 4" lift easy to acess even for sub 5' folks.

Last edited by vintovka; 10-01-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Foot Stomper

You are looking at buying a 100% problematic POS.
Too many hacks out there dumping hidden crap that you will not get a truck that needs lots of money to make safe.

Buy a lemon and make lemonaide...it'll be cheaper and will be as safe and reliable as YOU make it.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
dsraven

I think guys start out with good intentions and then when they get into it they realize it is a lot of work and their drive to do a good job lowers to a drive to just get it done enough to drive and/or sell.
the thing guys like about a frame swap to a 4x4 is that, if lifted enough, the track width doesn't matter so much because the tires won't rub on anything ever. the cons list can be long, those big tires wear out fast, it is probably gonna drive you crazy with noise inside the cab if driving on roads mostly, the steering column may be challenging to connect due to the space between the cab and frame, there is more but you get the hint.
for me living in the city, I would likely be driving on the roads and highways more than any offroad use, so, I would rather have a smooth riding truck that is easy to get in and out of, wont have so much drone from bog tires etc during normal driving.
it is your money and time so buy what you want, BUT, do a thorough inspection and ensure it is able to be properly licensed, insured etc. check your local dmv and insurance company. ask about laws concerning tires that stick out past the fender width etc.
again, not trying to rain on your parade, just would hate to see anybody spend money on something that will cost waaaay more than they think.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
dsraven

decide what you want to do with the truck, cruise town, long road trip, hit the corner coffee shop or pub and thats about it, mud bog and get dirty etc. then decide what kind of truck is best for that purpose.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
Old57

My 57 is in the process of being built on a 4wd 73-87 Chevy K20 (3/4 ton) chassis, 461 BBC, 4 speed, 205 transfer case, 14 bolt rear axle, 4" lift etc.. I'm building it to use, pull trailers, haul stuff, off road, etc. I tore it down to absolutely nothing, rebuilt or replaced everything on it. Everything has been media blasted, rust fixed, epoxy primed, motor/tranny/axles/transfer case rebuilt, all suspension/steering/brakes new. I have spent a lot of time and money on it to do everything right, and make it how I want it. I have all receipts for everything I've done, but I don't know if I want to add it up to see how much it has cost haha. The truck isn't done yet, but I have started it and taken it around the neighborhood. It rides good, handles good, power steering steers with 1 finger, and power 4 wheel large disc brakes stop great. I'm sure there are a lot of trucks that have been "hacked" on building them, but if you know what you are looking at and can drive it first, it should give you a good idea of if it was done right or not. Most guys don't like the 4wd trucks and want them to sit on the ground, but I really like the trucks sitting up and looking like they are ready for work. I'm even keeping mine a long bed too.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
My 57 is in the process of being built on a 4wd 73-87 Chevy K20 (3/4 ton) chassis, 461 BBC, 4 speed, 205 transfer case, 14 bolt rear axle, 4" lift etc.. I'm building it to use, pull trailers, haul stuff, off road, etc. I tore it down to absolutely nothing, rebuilt or replaced everything on it. Everything has been media blasted, rust fixed, epoxy primed, motor/tranny/axles/transfer case rebuilt, all suspension/steering/brakes new. I have spent a lot of time and money on it to do everything right, and make it how I want it. I have all receipts for everything I've done, but I don't know if I want to add it up to see how much it has cost haha. The truck isn't done yet, but I have started it and taken it around the neighborhood. It rides good, handles good, power steering steers with 1 finger, and power 4 wheel large disc brakes stop great. I'm sure there are a lot of trucks that have been "hacked" on building them, but if you know what you are looking at and can drive it first, it should give you a good idea of if it was done right or not. Most guys don't like the 4wd trucks and want them to sit on the ground, but I really like the trucks sitting up and looking like they are ready for work. I'm even keeping mine a long bed too.
Love to see it. Sounds very cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #13
Old57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phungki View Post
Love to see it. Sounds very cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Click on my build thread link at the bottom of this post, and it will take you to it
Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
decide what you want to do with the truck, cruise town, long road trip, hit the corner coffee shop or pub and thats about it, mud bog and get dirty etc. then decide what kind of truck is best for that purpose.
Thank you. I have done that. I was asking for a ball park figure of value for these trucks being put on a 4x4 frame with a V8 and modern steering and brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
rgunlock

I think to answer your question you also have to determine what shape all the steering, suspension, drivetrain, etc. are in. Ok, so the truck has them installed, but are you going to have to go through it all and replace/rebuild most of it anyway?

I ask because I'm just completing a driver quality rebuild of a 4x4 where I ended up replacing and/or rebuilding everything on the truck. I could have purchased a couple year old low mileage truck for what I've spent going through mine. If your looking at the same thing, then having it already on a 4x4 chassis isn't adding much value.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
_Ogre

done correctly v8+4x4 will add value, incorrectly it may cost a ton of $$ to fix, and you will be no wiser to either one
both of those listed by mpc are resellers, they have no history of the build, you're buying a pig in a poke
buying old trucks is sort of a crapshoot anyhow, i'll steer you towards fixing it up yourself over the pig in a poke

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
You are looking at buying a 100% problematic POS.
Too many hacks out there dumping hidden crap that you will not get a truck that needs lots of money to make safe.

my friend had a truck that looked like the ones in miracles post and was just scary to get under and look how it was done. he drove it for years but I think some of the body attachment was done with step ladder pieces and expanded steel. the steering shaft was several steering shafts butt welded.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #18
iowaboynca

Question:
I don't ever see anyone mention a lift on a S10 4x4 swap. Is that viable? Granted you're probably working with an extended cab frame...

EDIT: (apologize, my question is directed toward an AD)

Last edited by iowaboynca; 10-02-2018 at 06:36 PM.
iowaboynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
dsraven

the S10 is a little harder to lift with a suspension lift because they have 1/2 shafts and c/v joints that only like to work up to certain angles. they tend to take the c/v joints apart if using any stock parts. a body lift is common but then the frame is seen under the truck. big wheels can make up some height but then the gear ratio suffers. prolly why you don't see a lot of them.they also have torsion bar front suspension and fairly short control arms so steering geometry suffers when the torsion bars get cranked up. even with aftermarket control arms the c/v joints will be an issue unless you re-engineer the front end. that would include a front diff relocation bracket, longer control arms, longer 1/2 shafts, high angle ball joints and c/v joints, possibly different torsion bars etc. lots of money to spend if you want it right. then youhave to deal with the rear axle and, again, high ujoint angles and driveline vibration issues.
not saying it isn't possible, just maybe gonna be spendy
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #20
joedoh

the motor is pretty far forward in an s10 and if you move it back (you will want to move it back at least 5-6", more for a v8) the transfer case will hit the torsion bar crossmember. I have seen guys leave the v6 in the stock position and put the rad way out there just behind the grille. you could switch from torsion bars to coilovers, they sell kits to do it.

a couple guys have done 2wd ADs using the 4x4 s10 chassis, msaintg is one, he did a really nice job.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #21
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Check OrrieG's thread for a look at converting.
I have talked to my insurance agent about the value when it is done. I want to get $25K for insurance, he is saying I will need to get an appraisal for any assigned value over $10K. Will be interesting to see what an appraiser says when done. Have no intention of selling it, just want to make sure there is enough insurance in case someone else totals it so I will have money when I get out of jail for assault.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #22
mongocanfly
Post Whore

(enough insurance in case someone else totals it so I will have money when I get out of jail for assault.)
That's funny...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 AM   #23
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
my friend had a truck that looked like the ones in miracles post and was just scary to get under and look how it was done. he drove it for years but I think some of the body attachment was done with step ladder pieces and expanded steel. the steering shaft was several steering shafts butt welded.
That unfortunately can be rather common with 4x4 body swaps. For a lot of those guys rude and crude can tend to be the order of the day at least around here. Basically some guy has a later model 4x4 that he rolled and messed up the cab and box on and he finds an older truck for a low price and swaps the cab and bed over to the 4x4 frame and uses some redneck engineering to make it work with what ever scrap he has on hand.

It's like looking at any other old truck you have to leave the rose colored glasses at home and look at it objectively. Condition of the body, condition of the chassis, OVERALL build quality. that means the fit and finish on everything on it and what they used to do it.
Then you get into the things like what chassis they used and what engine and transfer and axles it has.
after that the wheels, tires, interior and other peripheral items.

Years ago around here when body lifts got real popular some of the local goat ropers decided that they didn't need or want to spend the bucks for the lift kits designed for the truck and would go down to the plumbing section of the local hardware and get pipe nipples the length they wanted the lift to be and a batch of bolts the right length out of the bolt bins. pretty shaky when the bolts loosened up and the body started moving around. That is the kind of workmanship you want to look out for.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote