The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
724wd

72 cheyenne super turn signal switch

I have been reading on this site for several months now and must say that the amount of info. here is unreal! I am trying to figure out what turn signal switch, more specific the hazard button, is correct for a 72 Cheyenne super. the one that is on it now has a round black push/pull hazard button that says flasher on it. My question: is that the correct nos hazard button? All the aftermarket and reproduction turn signal switches I have seen have the red blade/wishbone hazard button. trying to keep this truck close as I can to being correct. Brand new to posting on this site and technology challenged, but would appreciate any info.
724wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 72 cheyenne super turn signal switch

The red signal switch should be correct one. The black one sounds like a 73 up.
It also depends if it's a tilt column are not.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
724wd

Re: 72 cheyenne super turn signal switch

Thank you for the reply. It does have tilt and I was not sure if the Cheyenne trim level had a different hazard button than the base or custom trim levels. It does makes sense as the only reproduction and aftermarket turn signal switches I could find all had the red hazard button. Thx again.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
jocko

no difference in the hazard button based on trim levels. red is correct. make sure the switch you buy is for a tilt column. show us a pic when you can, just click "Post Reply" and select the paper clip to attach. Or click "go advanced" if you're typing in the Post Quick Reply box. Welcome.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

For what it's worth, and I'm not saying right or wrong, one of the best sources for our parts says the saying red button must = no tilt and black button must = tilt is not correct. Perhaps as validation, the parts book only shows one part # for 68-72, and doesn't discriminate between tilt.

I suspect red Vs black depends on trim level and/or perhaps year. My 71 doesn't have tilt and has a the black button. It's a Custom Deluxe with much of the "bling" common for Cheyenne & Super. My 72 Super has tilt and the black button as well.

Has my 71 always had the black one? I've had the truck since 89, and it was pure when I got it. The original owner was an old man. That and the signal wore out at least 20 years ago, somewhere around 115K miles.

Edit: Looking at Cleveland's pictures, I should clarify what black buttons I have. Pictured.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-02-2018 at 10:48 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Chevyland

Tilt
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Chevyland

Non tilt
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 72 cheyenne super turn signal switch

This tilt is for my 67 ramp truck which started out as a automatic tilt I have shaved it to be a 4 speed tilt.
My 71 all original truck that I bought in 1982 from original owner with paper work has the same button. Non tilt. I have been working on these truck since late 70's and have never seen a factory switch with that black switch that is pictured. I took a factory 4 speed tilt out of a blazer and rebuilt it for my 71 and it had the same red button.

Are there different switch's for tilt's and non. The vendors say so! Are they factory correct I don't know. I don't claim to be expert on these trucks I just know what I have seen.

From Manes truck parts:
http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...&Category_ID=8

http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...&Category_ID=8

GMC Pauls site:
67-72 Turn Signal Switch With Tilt Column part # 132884
1967-72 Turn signal switch for TILT steering columns. 100% correct just like original, with red hazard knob and correct curved steering column to wire harness connector. Made in the USA

Part # 132882
1967-72 Turn signal switch for NON-tilt steering columns. 100% correct just like original, with red hazard knob and correct curved steering column to wire harness connector. Made in the USA
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-02-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
724wd

Name:  IMG_1599.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  30.8 KB Man-o-man I was sweating more trying to get this photo on here than working on my truck here in August. hope this works. here is a pic of the flasher button. I would really like to keep this while replacing the turn signal switch. From what I gathering from the expertise in this forum is that either red or the black button can be correct. After reading prior (old) threads I get the feeling that the red hazard button can break or sheer off, thus im hoping to find either a turn signal switch that matches the one shown here. If not I will order a turn signal switch with the red button and try to be careful with it. I really appreciate all of the responses, what a great resource! Does anyone know where I can find a turn signal switch with the black flasher button? Thx. again!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
724wd

Attachment 1834537 Man-o-man I was sweating more trying to get this photo on here than working on my truck here in August. hope this works. here is a pic of the flasher button. I would really like to keep this while replacing the turn signal switch. From what I gathering from the expertise in this forum is that either red or the black button can be correct. After reading prior (old) threads I get the feeling that the red hazard button can break or sheer off, thus im hoping to find either a turn signal switch that matches the one shown here. If not I will order a turn signal switch with the red button and try to be careful with it. I really appreciate all of the responses, what a great resource! Does anyone know where I can find a turn signal switch with the black flasher button? Thx. again!
Old 11-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Chevyland

What I have seen over the years
On
‘Original’ trucks

The red button on non tilt
The black button on tilt, as I posted above
(To me , that was one more clue, the truck was a non molested original)

Usually if the truck was used a lot, the plastic housing where the blinker rod screws into would crack from over use. So you had to buy the whole blinker/hazard switch unit. The one on the column to the left is an aftermarket replacement

I have never seen a red aftermarket hazard button that matches the original
I have only seen variations of the black one

That is not to say, they are not available !?
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
jocko

Boo, hiss, "bad gouge Jocko" - I just checked, all my tilts have been black.
Sorry for the red herring!

I DID, however, once purchase a t/s switch for a tilt column that had a red haz! And, of course, it was the wrong part.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
724wd

Thx. guys for the input! So I am thinking that the current flasher button is correct to the super ( pic above ). last question: Is there a replacement turn signal switch with that hazard button included. Not trying to be anal, but if i'm going to get into the column I only want to do it once. hate to find out after the fact. I don't want you guys chasing this part, ill keep looking, just thought you may have come across one. I continue to learn so much on this site, it has to be the best site on the web for chevy info! Thx again
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
For what it's worth, and I'm not saying right or wrong, one of the best sources for our parts says the saying red button must = no tilt and black button must = tilt is not correct. Perhaps as validation, the parts book only shows one part # for 68-72, and doesn't discriminate between tilt.

I suspect red Vs black depends on trim level and/or perhaps year. My 71 doesn't have tilt and has a the black button. It's a Custom Deluxe with much of the "bling" common for Cheyenne & Super. My 72 Super has tilt and the black button as well.

Has my 71 always had the black one? I've had the truck since 89, and it was pure when I got it. The original owner was an old man. That and the signal wore out at least 20 years ago, somewhere around 115K miles.

Edit: Looking at Cleveland's pictures, I should clarify what black buttons I have. Pictured.
This a replacement?
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #15
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724wd View Post
Thx. guys for the input! So I am thinking that the current flasher button is correct to the super
Being a Cheyenne Super has nothing to do with which hazard button you have. It only depends on whether you have tilt or standard. Cheyenne Super is a trim level. Any trim level can have tilt or not. Most t/s switches that you purchase will have the hazard button as part of the switch itself.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #16
jocko

Quote:
This a replacement?
That looks like a squarebody or even later hazard button to me. But who knows, I'm not batting a thousand today.. Might still work though - GM didn't always ensure a replacement looked exactly like the original on functional items.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #17
Chevyland

Quote:
This a replacement?
Yes

Look at post 11, it’s the same one
Old 11-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #18
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
That looks like a squarebody or even later hazard button to me. But who knows, I'm not batting a thousand today.. Might still work though - GM didn't always ensure a replacement looked exactly like the original on functional items.
I agree.The one pictured below is on a tilt from a late 70s van.

There was also another type no one has shown that a couple of the tilts I've rescued have. I can post a picture in a couple days. It is concave with a separate screw in the middle. I'm not sure if they are on truck, van, or motor home columns.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #19
724wd

Thank you for the clarification about the trim levels and how it does not effect the haz but ton. Will get after the column when I get the T/S switch in. Cant wait to hear the original horn honking and the turn signals to cancel on their own! Had a high school shop teacher that used to say " Don't let one job lead you to another ". And I never do!, they usually lead to at least 5 or more! Thx.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #20
52napco

Post a pic of the spid please
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:02 AM   #21
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I take it back, my 72 has the same button as post 6 & 9. I thought it was like the one in my 71, seen post 18.