The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
John H.

When selling parts, please package parts for the ride

This is inexcusable. I bought a speedwarning speedo that was shipped in the bezel.

The shipper sent this in a recycled furnace filter box with just an extra layer of cardboard and NO cushioning material! Pictures attached. FedEx rewrapped the shrink wrap to keep the bezel from falling out of the make shift box.

I realize we are all trying to buy and sell parts and shipping has steadily increased over the last few years, but you can't try to cut costs out by improperly packaging rare parts.... A quick tip is send FedEx to a local FedEx print shop or certified FedEx location and you can avoid residential delivery and excess fuel charges.

The shipper is blaming fedex. If FedEx wont cover the damage I will try to recover some money from paypal.

Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  102.0 KB
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
John H.

Re: When selling parts, please package parts for the ride

Original picture before shipping. Nice white odometer numbers and good coloring on the face.

Name:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  64.5 KB
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Barnfind46

Packaging parts for shipping is a special skill. The shipper is at fault for poor packaging but the shipping company employees are put under pressure to get it there fast. They don't always treat the packages as well as they should.When packaging items for shipping I always plan for the box to be treated with little respect.Over kill is the plan. Hope you can get this resolved!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
undertaker72

it is sad ,some people wont take the time or expense to package items correct and I notice a lot of people wont even ship, our hobbies are up yo us I guess , if I sent that out I would have wrapped that in bubble wrap blanket making it like a cocoon in a Indians papoose jacket , im sorry for your damage , I can feel your pain
1969 Camaro hugger orange hounds tooth
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Killer Bee

received this grill guard as pictured..

one or two nuts from the hardware that I guess was attached somewhere were floating around in there..

just about every edge is scuffed and what had appeared to be very nice paint job is scratched everywhere..

can't tell for sure, haven't had a chance to mount it yet, but it seems to be straight so that's what's most important..

Old 11-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
StingRay

I had to take on trip on the bus once to pick up an Ambulance in Edmonton and bring it back to Saskatoon. Along the way I saw the bus freight workers at each stop hurl the packages 30 feet when unloading. When I got back I demonstrated the bus unloading procedure to my shippers and hurled a box across the shop. I told them what ever leaves here has to survive that. No matter the difficulty if the customer needs a part they need it intact. I package everything I ship based on the observations I made that day. I am often disappointed that companies large and small that I buy from have no interest in packaging the things I buy so that I get them in one piece. Sometimes I get them fine by plain dumb luck, occasionally they are packaged well and a little too often there is some kind of damage.

Proper packaging takes a bit of thought, good materials and can be a bit of an art with awkward shapes. I never cut corners. Do unto others you know.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
OregonNed

I'm pretty careful with shipping as I also do a lot of electronics shipping from my work - some pieces up to $30k in value. My last shipment was a dash pad in padded, 4" pipe that cost as much as the part it self to ship, but the buyer was more than willing pay..

Last edited by OregonNed; 11-30-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
OregonNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
jocko

It is frustrating - sorry to hear about this case, it was worse than most. On the other hand, what is almost as frustrating is someone thinking they are being "more" careful by using 50 yards of packaging tape throughout a bubble wrap arts and crafts project. I've had delicate parts that EASILY survived the ride, but not the unwrapping - no matter how careful. Having said that, yes, would still prefer folks over-do it rather than under-do it. Barnfind, you're right, it is a special skill - but I think that skill is to just 'not be lazy' teamed up with a little common sense. Packaging aint rocket science.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

If you care you can package anything to be well protected and if you are resourceful you can pack with overkill w/o it costing a dime extra if anything. I make boxes from heavy cardboard. I save back some from things I've bought, but whenever I need it I go to a building supply house that sells vinyl siding or anything else that produces lot of heavy cardboard waste. They will give you all you want. I use empty water bottles with the cap on for cushioning, as well as save back some bubble wrap from purchases. You can be generous when it's free. Waded up newspaper is a good buffer if you do it right. The only thing I buy is tape at Walmart for a dollar and I also keep shrink wrap around.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote