The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
FAKKY

A few one off questions

1) anyone got reassembly thread with good details of front end sheetmetal. I dont remember what sizes the bolts for say radiator support are and they sont seem standard. Also stuff like where to put those clips.

2) currently just got 8.8 rearend in. Wasnt going to flip it to lower. How much clearance do I need between frame and axle to run ok in this stock configuration without bottoming out.

3) will be starting wiring soon. Never done before. Who has a good overview of where grounds are needed. Central grounding distributor or block better ? .
Grounds for engine (ls) starter ..ac...fuel tank ...etc

4) wiring also .... anyone using a breaker for main power feed ?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: A few one off questions

1 pretty much the same bolt for everything. Clips go the same way, pics in my build. Look a FAM to see how the rad support bolts on. 3 rubber blocks, tube and a long bolt with lock nut
2 flip on stock spring will drop 7 inches. Definitely need C notch or your gonna bump the frame all the time
3 body is the ground. No other ground needed.
4 i used ez wire, very good manual for beginners

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Foot Stomper

Horsepowerproducts on eBay sells a factory replacement harness that is identical to original one. Its perfect and is plug and play for under $300.
No brainer!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
MiraclePieCo

For my AD front end assembly I got a box (50) each of 5/16-18 bolts in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch lengths. I went through all the 3/4 and wished I had more.

For wiring grounds I run one big braided strap from engine to frame, and another from frame to body. Now you can ground to the frame or the body, whichever is more convenient. Many components are self-grounding so make sure to clean the paint off beneath them. I have used ground blocks; nice idea if you don't want random ground connections showing all over the vehicle.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
mr48chev

I think some of the truck trinket outfits sell bolt kits with the correct appearing bolts if "correct appearing" is an issue.
Otherwise I would go with the plain grade 2 by the pound bolts from your favorite bolt source. Maybe invest some money on inside star lock washers rather than using split ring lock washers to keep things a tiny bit cleaner looking.

Or Classic shows both plain or stainless on this page. https://www.classicparts.com/Fender-...oducts/155/2/0 Also meaning the other truck parts outfits will most likely have them but this link is easier for me.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Clarance J

This is my ground buss bar I made for under the dash. Anything needing a ground can be plugged to this. At least that's the plan.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
1 pretty much the same bolt for everything. Clips go the same way, pics in my build. Look a FAM to see how the rad support bolts on. 3 rubber blocks, tube and a long bolt with lock nut
2 flip on stock spring will drop 7 inches. Definitely need C notch or your gonna bump the frame all the time
3 body is the ground. No other ground needed.
4 i used ez wire, very good manual for beginners
I have an EZ 21 circuit kit too. Havent opened her up apart to take a quick look. Was more a generalization on main grounds - example - fuel tank, transmission.

FAM - factory assembly manual ?

Not doing a flip (maybe later post finishing build) - so was more aimed at stock suspension. Leafs look quite reasoably flat under normal load - but there a newer set as I have the invoice from PO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Horsepowerproducts on eBay sells a factory replacement harness that is identical to original one. Its perfect and is plug and play for under $300.
No brainer!
EZ wiring harness already bought and Dakota Digital guages. Thanks for tip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
For my AD front end assembly I got a box (50) each of 5/16-18 bolts in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch lengths. I went through all the 3/4 and wished I had more.

For wiring grounds I run one big braided strap from engine to frame, and another from frame to body. Now you can ground to the frame or the body, whichever is more convenient. Many components are self-grounding so make sure to clean the paint off beneath them. I have used ground blocks; nice idea if you don't want random ground connections showing all over the vehicle.
Yes was thinking of something like
https://www.amazon.com/Painless-8011.../dp/B00DSJ2T36

Wonder if the bolt sizes are same for TF. I just threw all the bolts into one big bucket. Lesson learned. Now not sure which bolt for tge radiator support as an example and where clips were used. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think some of the truck trinket outfits sell bolt kits with the correct appearing bolts if "correct appearing" is an issue.
Otherwise I would go with the plain grade 2 by the pound bolts from your favorite bolt source. Maybe invest some money on inside star lock washers rather than using split ring lock washers to keep things a tiny bit cleaner looking.

Or Classic shows both plain or stainless on this page. https://www.classicparts.com/Fender-...oducts/155/2/0 Also meaning the other truck parts outfits will most likely have them but this link is easier for me.
Dang - thats interesting. Wish they had listed the specs on all the bolts be easy to go an cross reference and reassemble my kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
This is my ground buss bar I made for under the dash. Anything needing a ground can be plugged to this. At least that's the plan.
Yup ^^^ Similar idea . Was thinking of a waterproof one at the rear also.

-- Sorry for delayed response - been out of town
Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #8
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
I have an EZ 21 circuit kit too. Havent opened her up apart to take a quick look. Was more a generalization on main grounds - example - fuel tank, transmission.

FAM - factory assembly manual ?

Not doing a flip (maybe later post finishing build) - so was more aimed at stock suspension. Leafs look quite reasoably flat under normal load - but there a newer set as I have the invoice from PO.

EZ wiring harness already bought and Dakota Digital guages. Thanks for tip !

Yes was thinking of something like
https://www.amazon.com/Painless-8011.../dp/B00DSJ2T36

Wonder if the bolt sizes are same for TF. I just threw all the bolts into one big bucket. Lesson learned. Now not sure which bolt for tge radiator support as an example and where clips were used. Lesson learned.

Dang - thats interesting. Wish they had listed the specs on all the bolts be easy to go an cross reference and reassemble my kit

Yup ^^^ Similar idea . Was thinking of a waterproof one at the rear also.

-- Sorry for delayed response - been out of town
What a useless, trolling thread. Dude asks multiple questions, and when solutions are offered, O P reveals more useless multiple replies.

Administration, please address this?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
FAKKY

Huh ?

Simply a reply to peoples answers with more information. I didnt mention I already have a EZ wiring harness - so I added that. Im pretty sure I'll be able to work out how to wire the main harness - what Im not sure is stuff like proper grounding procedure to protect the circuit and electrical interference.

eg Follow this ?

https://www.hotrodwires.com/how-to-g...al-system.html

The other stuff is specific. Bolt sizes - how did you protect engine circuit from overload and fire..... breaker bar ? Fuseable link ?

*shrug*
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
Matt_50

I think his name is Mark. This guy will answer any and every electrical question you have, awesome dude I talked to him twice. Make sure you have a little free time cause he can talk lol.

He has different kits you can buy but ask about his technical books, small little easy reads that break it down for you. I bought one with his relay kit, and fusible links.

MAD electrical. 559-539-7128

He also said I can call him while I'm wiring up the truck and he would try to help me out if I needed it, and he already knows I have an EZ wire kit.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
FAKKY

Thanks - I might send him an email as see if that technical book is relevant for a dakota/LS setup .... figure it will mostly be distributor based - but might have enough concepts on good wiring practices for grounding.

Then if I do have to bother him - dont feel as bad if I bought something.

I did find this pic on the front support bolts.

Name:  40-310-58K.png
Views: 133
Size:  79.7 KB

shim
cushion
bolt
lock washer
floating nut
spacer
flatnut

and this for the front clips/nuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Truck-Bo...frcectupt=true