The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Equipman

Front Axle swap

Hey Folks,
I'm certain this has been asked many times on here.
I'm planning on swapping my front axle from my 69 K10 with drums to a 74 front axle with discs. What can or what could be expected when I do this? Will there be problems mating any of the steering components? I'd like to gather all the parts I need before I attempt the swap.
Any info would be great.
Thanks!
Equipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #2
Foureye71

Re: Front Axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipman View Post
Hey Folks,
I'm certain this has been asked many times on here.
I'm planning on swapping my front axle from my 69 K10 with drums to a 74 front axle with discs. What can or what could be expected when I do this? Will there be problems mating any of the steering components? I'd like to gather all the parts I need before I attempt the swap.
Any info would be great.
Thanks!
All gm front axles bolt in the same and the steering is the same. Only difference with square body 4x4s is the sway bar mounts on the u bolt plates. You'll need a disc/drum prop. valve as well.
Foureye71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
slocityk20

IMO when you do a axle swap the most important part is getting your leaf spring perches in the right spot. You will need get a scarfing tip and cut the perches off and weld them in the proper location giving you the proper yoke angle. Might need to relocated shock mounts as well. Make sure you google what your yoke angle needs to be to give you the proper driveline angle. On my rear axle swap I believe it was like 1 degree up. As far as proportioning devices Id say run it and see what it does. I thought I was going to have to put one in my K20 but I ended up not.

These are just my thoughts and maybe give ya a few things to think about. I am in no way an expert. Good luck my friend!
slocityk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocityk20 View Post
IMO when you do a axle swap the most important part is getting your leaf spring perches in the right spot. You will need get a scarfing tip and cut the perches off and weld them in the proper location giving you the proper yoke angle. Might need to relocated shock mounts as well. Make sure you google what your yoke angle needs to be to give you the proper driveline angle. On my rear axle swap I believe it was like 1 degree up. As far as proportioning devices Id say run it and see what it does. I thought I was going to have to put one in my K20 but I ended up not.

These are just my thoughts and maybe give ya a few things to think about. I am in no way an expert. Good luck my friend!
On the rear that is quite possible depending on what the axle came out of. The front axles on these trucks and sqaure bodies are all pretty much the same mounting wise So all you have to do is bolt it up. There shouldn’t have to be any cutting or welding.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
67ranchhand

I just swapped mine about a month ago and it bolted right in with no issues. I have to figure out the sway bar mounting yet, as the front crossmember is different than the square body, but very easy swap. I had to buy both drag link ends to go from the steering box to the pitman arm. Get 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive brake hoses. I got some from rockauto for a 76. They fit good and I even put a 2” suspension lift on while I was doing the swap. Don’t forget the proportion valve for disk drum. I had to change the brake lines from 1/4 to 3/16 also.
67ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The '69 has different steering. I'd swap a '70-up steering box/pitman arm/adjustable drag link assembly.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote