The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
ccautoupholstery

Steering knuckle removal question

I have a 67 c10 that is drum/drum. I am converting to power disc and power brakes. I was able to get the upper ball joints free from the steering knuckle but am not having any luck on the lower and was hoping someone knows the trick and I dont have to have a shop press them out. Thanks in advance!
ccautoupholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
saxart

Re: Steering knuckle removal question

This sounds wrong to say it this way, but assuming you're hitting the spindle where the ball joint comes through, you may want to try a bigger hammer.

I was having the same issue with my spindles when using a 3lb hammer. I moved up to a short handled 5lb hammer and they popped off on the 2nd hit.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
Pro299

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccautoupholstery View Post
I have a 67 c10 that is drum/drum. I am converting to power disc and power brakes. I was able to get the upper ball joints free from the steering knuckle but am not having any luck on the lower and was hoping someone knows the trick and I dont have to have a shop press them out. Thanks in advance!
I assume you're talking about the spindle. I think this was discussed a few days ago. Most responses involved putting tension on the joint with a pickle fork or the spring itself and then hitting the spindle at the joint with a hammer. Most will pop loose. Of course, don't take the nuts all the way off either ball joint until both are loose and you have the lower arm under control. Be safe.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
Mike C

IME, the correct way is to get the lowers first. Loosen the nut but leave it attached, use a pickle fork and a BFH. Hammer, hammer, and hammer some more. Once it’s broken loose do the top then whatever solution you have planned for removing the coil spring.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
rpmerf

Agree. Do the lower first. Be aware, the spring is pushing the lower control arm down. You could reattach it up top.

When you do the bottom first, the spring pushes the lower ball joint down away from the spindle. Then gravity will pull the spindle away from the upper ball joint.

Always leave the nut on a couple threads so things don't fly apart or drop and break or hurt you.

I always like to remove the nut, soak the stud down with PB, then reinstall the nut and hammer away. I will sometimes use some heat.

I keep a jack under the LCA to make sure the spring doesn't push it too far down and things don't fly apart.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
ccautoupholstery

I got them apart, just took a few beers and a whole lot of hammering. Thanks guys
ccautoupholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Slowguy

For the life of me never could figure out why beer makes it easier-but it just does.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote