The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
100%Chevy

Need on-line carg kit supplier!

Need to rebuild a 2 bbl carb on my 79,C-10,250 six.
No auto parts store has it.
This is the rectangular top 2 barrel carb used from 79 to 84.
I don't have the number with me here.
If anyone has a good source,I'd like to have it!
Thanks,Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Need on-line carg kit supplier!

Just sold the rebuild one off my 81. I believe the guy that got mine ordered the rebuilt one from AutoZone.
They are showing many different makes available thru Gulfport store
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...tor/321079_0_0

The description says 1bbl, but #s say 2bbl.

Also, this place Should have a kit to rebuild them.
https://quadrajetparts.com/rochester...ild-p-958.html

Carb is called the Rochester Varajet II (ESE or 2ESE)

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
100%Chevy

Thanks Bill.
I knew what it is called but couldn't remember when I posted.
I got the same response from the 3 major auto parts stores here in Pascagoula.
Had to return 2 kits.
Ordered the part you posted at Autozone and it came in for the 1 barrel Rochester carb!
I'll try the ones posted on line and see if I can get it.
Mike.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Crap I clicked on the wrong one.
Here is the 2bbl

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive.../169083_0_6336

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
100%Chevy

Quadrajet Parts had it (finally)!
I thought quadrajets had a lot of part numbers until I tried to find this one!
Mine is 17080621.
I finally found a combined kit that fits about a hundred different applications and ordered it.$40.00 !
A rebuilt one is going for about $400.00!WOW!
Thanks for the help!
Mike.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
hatzie

No need to pay someone else to rebuild a Rochester 2G.
They are the easiest carburetor I've ever worked on. I rebuilt my first Rochester 2G for my 1973 Pontiac Catalina.

The Old 1970's Berryman Carb Dip with Methylene Chloride would clean it right out. Not sure how good the new EPA formulated stuff is... likely not very.

The old stuff that worked was very toxic and very dangerous. Use it outside with the wind at your back. Don't breathe it, Don't touch your face or any other part of your skin, Just Don't get it on your skin period, Don't eat or drink til you've washed thoroughly, Don't sit down anywhere in the house or in your car/truck til you wash up and change your clothes, Don't spill it, and Don't pour it down the drain or on the ground.

It will melt anything that's not made of paper or metal and it'll do a pretty good job of breaking down the paper gaskets. Remove any plastic rubber etc parts before dipping.

The following is for entertainment. If you kill or maim yourself or others or cause any number of problems legal and otherwise by using this information the results are your responsibility and your problem.

This is the chemical makeup of the 1970s Chem Dip from an old MSDS sheet I kept...
  1. Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane) 55-65%... You will find that this is the active ingredient in Aircraft paint stripper. It's a really nasty neurotoxin so treat it with the respect due anything that can kill you painfully and slowly.
  2. Cresols 10-15%... Cresol is a mixing additive used to keep the chemicals in solution. It's also in Lysol and is why some commercial carb cleaners smell similar to Lysol. It's Methylphenol also called M-Cresol. It helps keep greases dissolved and mixed with the chemicals so you can use the carb dip over and over. Not necessary for short term if you are making your own brew and properly disposing of the toxic brew when you're done.
  3. Mixed Xylenes 20-30%... The mixed Xylenes are mainly Xylene (the main ingredient in paint thinner). It's used to keep the solubility and flashpoint high to slow evaporation.
  4. Sodium Bichromate less than 4%... This is hydrated Sodium Dichromate, and is VERY TOXIC... yet another really nasty ingredient. It is also known as Dichromic Acid. It's an oxidiser that simultaneously creates corrosion inhibitors. This is the caustic part of old style carb cleaner and it's at least as dangerous as Methylene Chloride.

If these chemicals are not available, to get a very good homebrew carb cleaner you can use:
  • 2 parts of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)
  • 1 part xylene. To keep the flash point down and keep it mixed well. If there is a choice, buy medium xylene.
  • 1 part Methylene Chloride based Aircraft paint stripper.

You can get 1 gallon empty steel paint cans from your local paint store and Berryman sells carburetor dip buckets that will fit inside.

Use this outdoors, do not breathe, do not drink, do not splash, wear heavy chemical resistant gloves.........

It will expand with heat, so store appropriately. Dispose of it at your local dumps' amnesty day if you don't intend to use it again.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 03-31-2019 at 07:18 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
No need to pay someone else to rebuild a Rochester 2G.
They are the easiest carburetor I've ever worked on. I rebuilt my first Rochester 2G for my 1973 Pontiac Catalina.

The Old 1970's Berryman Carb Dip with Methylene Chloride would clean it right out. Not sure how good the new EPA formulated stuff is... likely not very.

The old stuff that worked was very toxic and very dangerous. Use it outside with the wind at your back. Don't breathe it, Don't touch your face or any other part of your skin, Just Don't get it on your skin period, Don't eat or drink til you've washed thoroughly, Don't sit down anywhere in the house or in your car/truck til you wash up and change your clothes, Don't spill it, and Don't pour it down the drain or on the ground.

It will melt anything that's not made of paper or metal and it'll do a pretty good job of breaking down the paper gaskets. Remove any plastic rubber etc parts before dipping.

The following is for entertainment. If you kill or maim yourself or others or cause any number of problems legal and otherwise by using this information the results are your responsibility and your problem.

This is the chemical makeup of the 1970s Chem Dip from an old MSDS sheet I kept...
  1. Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane) 55-65%... You will find that this is the active ingredient in Aircraft paint stripper. It's a really nasty neurotoxin so treat it with the respect due anything that can kill you painfully and slowly.
  2. Cresols 10-15%... Cresol is a mixing additive used to keep the chemicals in solution. It's also in Lysol and is why some commercial carb cleaners smell similar to Lysol. It's Methylphenol also called M-Cresol. It helps keep greases dissolved and mixed with the chemicals so you can use the carb dip over and over. Not necessary for short term if you are making your own brew and properly disposing of the toxic brew when you're done.
  3. Mixed Xylenes 20-30%... The mixed Xylenes are mainly Xylene (the main ingredient in paint thinner). It's used to keep the solubility and flashpoint high to slow evaporation.
  4. Sodium Bichromate less than 4%... This is hydrated Sodium Dichromate, and is VERY TOXIC... yet another really nasty ingredient. It is also known as Dichromic Acid. It's an oxidiser that simultaneously creates corrosion inhibitors. This is the caustic part of old style carb cleaner and it's at least as dangerous as Methylene Chloride.

If these chemicals are not available, to get a very good homebrew carb cleaner you can use:
  • 2 parts of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)
  • 1 part xylene. To keep the flash point down and keep it mixed well. If there is a choice, buy medium xylene.
  • 1 part Methylene Chloride based Aircraft paint stripper.

You can get 1 gallon empty steel paint cans from your local paint store and Berryman sells carburetor dip buckets that will fit inside.

Use this outdoors, do not breathe, do not drink, do not splash, wear heavy chemical resistant gloves.........

It will expand with heat, so store appropriately. Dispose of it at your local dumps' amnesty day if you don't intend to use it again.
It's a Varijet 2,E2SE.
I've rebuilt many GM carbs over the years.In fact,I'd rather have a quadrajet than any other carb on my stuff!
Also,I spent 10 years in Dow chemicals Research and Development Dept. working with the most dangerous chemicals known.MEK is a known carcinogen among other bad things it does.Anyone using these chemicals needs to be very careful and know exactly what you are dealing with.
I have 2 gallons of the good Berryman's stuff.It will last a long time,just filter it after use.To extend it,add a little diesel fuel.
Thanks for your info,it will help others too!
Mike.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #8
hatzie

The Varijets were overcomplicated progressive linkage two barrel carbs. Quite a lot more complex than the old 2G carbs.
Brings back memories of the Solex/Zenith progressive carburetors VW used on the 75-80 Watercooled cars. I ran a $200 Weber progressive 2 barrel carb to replace the Zenith on my 75 Scirocco because a remanufactured Zenith was $450 in 1980.

I always just added Methylene Chloride and Xylene when the Chem Dip began to get tired.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote