The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Mechanical Fuel Pump Swap question

So I am still getting junk in my fuel filter so I ordered lines and a fuel pump. I finally figured out how to change the pump but not sure I got the pin in the right spot. Here is what happened.

I put the plate and plate gasket on with the little screws, I had the rod held up in the block using one of the bolts through the front of the housing. Once I got the pump in place I screwed down the remaining bolt till it was attached on one side but snugged. Then I Pulled the bolt out of the front of the housing and got it in place. This is where things went a little off the rails. in trying to get everything lined up the pump moved out a little bit (about a quarter inch)... after wrestling around to get everything lined up etc.. I finally got everything snugged down. My question is when the pump moved out the quarter inch was that enough for the rod to slide into the wrong place? Is there a way I can tell? Or do I just wait till I try to crank it and when I am not getting gas that's when I know I have to redo the install??

Thanks all
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
tj1970cst

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Swap question

It was probably just the spring in the pump pushing out. It will pump a little if you roll the engine over by hand. I would bet you are ok.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #3
Sheepdip

The SBC has a tapped hole on the front of the block right down at the fuel pump boss, you install a bolt that's too long just snug to press and hold the fuel pump rod in place, once you have it in place and all the bolts started you pull that bolt (don't forget or you'll score the pump rod) and install a real short one that won't reach the fuel pump rod, then finish drawing up the fuel pump.

Be sure and put some silicon on that short bolt under side to keep it from leaking oil
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
Tuff Gong

I think you are fine. Sounds about what happen on my install
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #5
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Thanks guys, yes I used the bolt trick but didn't have an extra lying around so I used one of the ones holding the pump.

Hopefully I'm okay. But it's okay to try to crank the engine I think right? Cuz if the rod is below the knuckle of the pump then it won't be high enough to get hit by whatever cam is turning so I don't think it should hurt anything. I'll update for future reference but I think I'm okay to try it.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
Sheepdip

As long as you did not force anything other than compressing the spring loaded arm you should be fine.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote