The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
jcueckert13

in my 76 dart i had a engine fire about 3 months ago. driving home in rush hour traffic i had the fan belt come off the pulley causeing the car to over heat after pulling over and putting the fan belt back on i get about another block before the belt comes back off. i did this 3 more times before i got to my grand mothers house and let the car cool off so i could try to fix the car. when i decided to let it cool off i forgot to lift the pressure release lever on the radiator cap and the pressure blew a hole in the hose that goes between the head and the water pump. by the time it had cooled off emough for me to do anything all the auto parts stores where closed so i got stuck at my grandmothers house. the next morning i got a ride to the auto parts store, got the parts, and got the car put back together and started to drive home. i stopped after about a mile to check to make sure the fan belt was still on the pulleys and found my mechanical fuel pump on fire. i got it put out with a jacket and a gallon of water. i was able to make the 25 mile drive home with no problem after i tightened the hose clamp on the fuel line. ended up spending the next 4 days rewireing the engine and sealing up all the leaks caused by the pressure.
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote