The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
pilotXC

Starting click

My truck was starting just fine. I was wiring up the 4 pin trailer connector the other day and had lights and turn signals on figuring out what wires were what with the engine off, then went to start it and it just clicked like a dead battery. Tried a few more times and it turned over and fired up. Drove it a little to take my son to ride his bike down the road and started up no problem. Same thing happened the next day and two days after that. I ran a volt meter across the battery and got 14 volts, it still just clicks. Might have a short in the trailer wiring?

I thought I read somewhere that something like this is common, but can't seem to find anything. Anyone else have any issues like this? I need to check the connections on the battery and starter and wouldn't hurt to run it by battery exchange and have them test the battery, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something else...
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Starting click

Assuming this is a small block chevy....

Check battery ground cables are all good and dastened to clean metal surfaces....Battery negative to engine, engine to chassis, engine to cab....

One of the most annoying problems is a solenoid contact that has corroded away inside the solenoid....if you get it to click point again...lightly tao the solenoid cover and try again..if it works then, look at replacing the solenoid or the starter assembly...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
pilotXC

Re: Starting click

Yes, it's a 2001 6.0... It's clicking now, so I'll try to the tap the solenoid thing and see if it does anything to help or not. Sucks because I just finished the swap a few months ago, would have just replaced it when it was all a part if I knew it was that close to wearing out.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote