The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #26
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Question about carpet/flooring

Revisiting this thread again. I'm looking for carpet for my 70 K10. I called Stock Interiors and told them that I'm using some Dynamat strips and heat/noise barrier from Quiet Ride Solutions. I'm using their Acousti-Shield floor kit (https://www.quietride.com/). The barrier is similar to a lot of others on the market. It is 3/8" fiber padding with an aluminum type top layer. My concern was whether or not to add the Mass Backing. They told me to NOT add the Mass Backing if using this type of heat and noise insulation. The carpet would not lay down right. Hopefully this is the right way to go. Now I just need to figure out what carpet material to go with (Nylon Loop, 80/20 Loop, Plush or Ultra-Plush). I'll probably go with either the 80/20 Loop, or the plush cut. Since this is an LS swap and not original, I'm considering the plush cut without mass backing. Any comments, please chime in. Thanks for your feedback.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #27
tim_mc

Agreed...I would NOT add mass-backing if the sound/heat deadening material you are using is 3/8". That would likely be too thick to work with.

I went with 80/20 loop in my cab to keep it period-correct. To me, the plush carpet looks too new and out of place for these older trucks, but could look the part in a custom interior. Just my 2c.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #28
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Always use ACC Auto custom carpets with the mass backing .

https://www.accmats.com/
When you use this with the MASS backing does it go right on to the floor? The reason I ask is, the flooring I have one has a 1/2 inch “Jute” padding between the carpet and the floor..
I don’t know if this carpet is original or a replacement (in the early 80s), I just know I need replace it.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:10 AM   #29
68Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I called Stock Interiors and explained to them that I'm wanting to lay down a layer of sound barrier, then heat barrier, then 80/20 carpet with mass backing. They suggested not to do all 3 because it wouldn't lay down or fit properly. So, which one(s) do I exclude?
This is also my question. Get rid of the foam- just sound deadener and MASS backing? Or Sound deadener, foam and then unbacked carpet? Thanks
68Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #30
custom10nut

When using the Mass backed carpet, how does one attach it to the floor? Is it just held in place by the seat lots and sill plates? Or will I need to glue it down?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #31
dz1087

I'm curious about this as well. Looking to order some insulating layers and mass-backed carpet. I was looking at using the RAAM sound deadener and their Ensolite pad over that, then the carpet. If I do that, do I need mass-backed? Can I skip the Ensolite layer and get the mass-backed carpet?

Seems the sounds deadener mats/jute/mass-backed carpet would work fine.

Thoughts?
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #32
Davidf

I simply laid my mass backed carpet down...no glue and it stays in place fine. It may help that I have a one piece floor matt as well (same as carpet, not mass backed).
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #33
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

So I ended up using the ACC Carpets plush version without mass backing. There were a couple areas that had some jute backing, but these were just by the driver and passenger foot areas. As I mentioned in the opening post, I used Quiet Ride Solutions insulation system. This stuff is about 3/8 or 7/16 thick from what I remember. It gets glued down with spray adhesive. Since I used this type of insulation, I did not need mass backing. My carpet is held in place only by the seats and center console. I did not glue it down. I still don't have my door sills installed and the carpet doesn't move. I think without the mass backing, the carpet conformed really well.

Dynamat strips and acoustical and thermal insulation going down. You can kind of see how thick the insulation is on the floor.
Name:  IMG_8839.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  61.2 KB

All insulation is installed.
Name:  IMG_8850.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  79.9 KB

My carpet from ACC.
Name:  IMG_8856.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  59.2 KB

You can see where the carpet is folded over on the right, there is no backing at all.
Name:  IMG_9019.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  40.1 KB

Picture of the interior before I installed the drivers seat.
Name:  IMG_0274.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  48.4 KB

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote