The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
jaros44sr

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Vic they’re pretty easy to change if you have the right pin tool
I ran into that with my TPI
Let me know and I’ll send you a tool or talk you thru it
Put the tool into the notch and the pin will pop out after you remove the white lock on the connecter

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Vic they’re pretty easy to change if you have the right pin tool
I ran into that with my TPI
Let me know and I’ll send you a tool or talk you thru it
Put the tool into the notch and the pin will pop out after you remove the white lock on the connecter
Thanks, Jim. I have a set of pin tools (some flat, some round) I've used to disassemble weather pack connectors, etc. It hadn't occurred to me to do that with the connector I have ordered, but that would be preferable to splicing the wires.

I've been busy mocking up the dual quad setup and rearranging wiring. Seems like every time I turn around there's something I need to tweak. The choke mounted TPS is meant for a Holley carb and while the FST carb electric choke looks exactly like a Holley, it's not. Same goes for the progressive linkage - meant for Edelbrock carbs so the rods are a bit too short for my setup. Kathy will pick up the stainless rod I need today so I can make new pieces. But it's coming together.

I'd ordered a MSD Atomic trans controller only to find the TCM and harness were both on backorder until sometime in July. Cancelled both orders and got a Painless Perfect Torc setup. It arrived yesterday and so far, I'm impressed. As you'd expect, the wiring is top notch and the controller features are awesome. I don't know for sure yet, but it may actually work with the Lokar Electronic Sport Mode shifter I have to allow manual upshifts and downshifts. I emailed them to be sure their paddle shifter feature would work with a 4L60E type transmission. I know it would with the fully electronic 4L80E but I've read the 4L60E requires some sort of modification.

Will post some photos when I have a bit more progress to report.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
jaros44sr

Glad it’s starting to work out I tried to get my computers working for two years before I gave up and put it in a shop that knew what they were doing

Got a pic of the dual quads I love fancy induction stuff

Been following your builds since CRLS I never posted up before but I do follow your great builds and great write ups

Wish you luck as you progress thru your problems

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Glad it’s starting to work out I tried to get my computers working for two years before I gave up and put it in a shop that knew what they were doing

Got a pic of the dual quads I love fancy induction stuff

Been following your builds since CRLS I never posted up before but I do follow your great builds and great write ups

Wish you luck as you progress thru your problems
Thanks, Jim! Here's a preview of the dual quad setup. On the linkage side, I had to make the longer rod because the FST carbs on the Holley intake have a different spacing between the throttle levers than the Edelbrock setup. On the choke side, I had to relocate one of the legs for the TPS bracket due to the difference between the FST choke bolt pattern and a Holley. The rear view shows the Camozzi fitting that the 1/4" plastic line goes into. It feeds manifold pressure/vacuum to the MSD ignition box so it can retard/advance the timing under operating conditions. I'm not sure why MSD chose to use a mechanical source for MAP. Seems like a sender that screws into the manifold somewhere and has a few wires would be better, but what the heck do I know?
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote